175G DAS Reseal plus modification

TzuDohNihm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
So, this project seems to have been a success. Today is two weeks of the tank sitting full as in the picture above and it hasn't shown any leaks.

Now to drain it in the coming weeks and move it inside and try my hand at making it come alive again.

Reactions: PDRed302

TzuDohNihm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
I guess better late than never to complete a project....

Alright. This tank had to go into storage for a bit until we moved a year ago and I am just now in the process of getting this bad boy running full blast. I wouldn't mind some thoughts on my ideas.

This will be a South/Central American cichlid tank. Looking at a Tiger Oscar, Albino Tiger Oscar, Green Terror and at least one if not multiple Firemouths and at least two if not more Jewel cichlids.

I have 200 lbs CaribSea Supernatural white sand on the way, two (2) Fluval FX6 canisters that will be PondGuru method "pimped"
to include better mechanical and run with BioHome Ultimate only, no chemical at this time.

Decorations will include these two driftwood pieces. Thinking the burlwood branch on the left and hollow log on the right.
tank burl.jpg
IMG_20200510_142629.jpg

In the two corners we are thinking of building up either slate or dragon stone half circles with maybe some plant substrate and getting some Anubias back there with some possibly attached to the driftwood. I'm not sold on the jaggedness of the dragonstone in a river scene. Thoughts or pics of other setups here would be appreciated.

LFS says this setup would give us the most riverbank look that we are going for. They are suggesting two (2) Fluval Plant 3.0 lights. Those are bit pricey in my opinion but not sure whether to just shoot high right now. It has been almost 20 years since I last kept a tank and technology has changed significantly.

Heater I was looking at a Finnex 800W w/controller but am wondering if I might be better served with two of the Eheim 300W and an Inkbird.

I have a Python but was thinking of getting the Fluval Vac to not waste so much water on vacuuming. I have a CuZn under sink chloramine filter that should provide me with clean enough water but will probably dose API Stress Coat when adding water anyway.

I will provide more pics as we scape and build and finally get things underway. But I am open to any suggestions anyone may have especially since it has been so many years since I have done this.

Zex Marquis

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2016
Looks good. Glad to see it still holding. I get a little worried when I see threads in the DIY section disappear. As far as the sand I think it looks good. I personally like it a bit over the bottom brace so I can see under the surface but that is just my preference.

Reactions: deeda

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Very nice tank and excellent repair work! Definitely a worthwhile enterprise, which obviously is more apparent now that it hasn't leaked and looks so much better.
The driftwood pieces look awesome as well. Good luck filling and populating it.
If it were my tank, I would cover the FX5(?) intake with some sort of prefilter, to minimize any sand getting into the intake.
Very nice. Congratulations!

TzuDohNihm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Here are some pics with the log in place and just some thoughts on the few rocks we have. I am going to dry out the burlwood driftwood that has been soaking for a week so I can dryscape with it this weekend. The rocks I just threw in to see how they would look, those are not final places.

IMG_20200531_170318.jpg
IMG_20200531_170322.jpg
IMG_20200531_165752.jpgIMG_20200531_165801.jpg

Reactions: TheWolfman

TzuDohNihm

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2017
Very nice tank and excellent repair work! Definitely a worthwhile enterprise, which obviously is more apparent now that it hasn't leaked and looks so much better.
The driftwood pieces look awesome as well. Good luck filling and populating it.
If it were my tank, I would cover the FX5(?) intake with some sort of prefilter, to minimize any sand getting into the intake.
Very nice. Congratulations!
Good thought and I am happy to say i am well ahead of you. I am running dual FX6's. I "pimped" the filters with the pondguru method found on YouTube. When making the new sponge filters for the outside rings of the FX6 there is some left over pieces that I will cut to put inside the intakes in order to catch sand.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I would remove any rocks that might have the potential for fish to ingest.

Do not put sponge inside the intake strainers as it will get sucked up into either the hoses or the filter itself.

The tank is looking good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store