18' x 9' x 3.5' catfish tank build in progress.....

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
The routing looks good. gives it a finished look. Big can of worms though on a tank that size. Routing is one of those things that once you start, there seems to be 15X as many edges that could use it as you thought. :p

Grog

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
Inverhuron, Ontario
Hey Necro, just joined the site yesterday and gravitated to your thread right away; what a wild and wooley road you've be on. For the love of fish!!! I've had some big cats over the years(channels) and kept them in my garage ponds....2 ponds that equal your one..I went the easy weekend route and just did 2x6 stud walls, plywood and pond liner...but there's just something about looking through glass, isnt there! Just wanted to say kudo's! and you've got great skill fortitude and perserverance beyond the norm. Yet another inspired fishkeeper..

greengiant

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 25, 2008
British Columbia Canada
Basslovers just dreaming like the rest of us.:j/k:the routing looks great good idea to protect the MFKers that stop by. the kids will likely be fine only MFKers would poke out an eye getting to close to check out the craftsmanship.you need to put mats on the floor so you can relax and see in the tank though.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
cvermeulen;2996761; said:
The routing looks good. gives it a finished look. Big can of worms though on a tank that size. Routing is one of those things that once you start, there seems to be 15X as many edges that could use it as you thought. :p
That's true, when I'm finished all four corners, the top edges and the window frames will all be routed lol. Never knew routing could be so frustrating. Once you hit a patch of wood putty that's as wide as the wheel you have on the bit you make a nice gouge that you have to fill and sand to match the rest of the route! lol

Grog;2996873; said:
Hey Necro, just joined the site yesterday and gravitated to your thread right away; what a wild and wooley road you've be on. For the love of fish!!! I've had some big cats over the years(channels) and kept them in my garage ponds....2 ponds that equal your one..I went the easy weekend route and just did 2x6 stud walls, plywood and pond liner...but there's just something about looking through glass, isnt there! Just wanted to say kudo's! and you've got great skill fortitude and perserverance beyond the norm. Yet another inspired fishkeeper..
I truely appreciate that. At first I wanted to go much taller on this build with bigger windows, but then I realized it would take me 3x as long to come up with the funds for something like that. Hopefully when it's all said and done with it will work! I'll probably cry if it leaks, throw some stuff around the garage, and then go back to the drawing board.:nilly:

arapaimag;2996893; said:
Great thread and its also fantastic that you will soon have it up and running. Thanks for keeping us updated.
That means a lot comming from you. Your tanks along with so many other great builds on this site have had my head spinning for the last 3 years about what I was gonna build. I don't see this as my biggest tank that I'll ever build. I'm turning 27 next monday. I'd say I have some really big plans for the future although maybe not quit as big as your's! lol. I'm gonna settle for what I have when this is done for now, and hopefully in the future I'll be in a better financial situation to build the next tank of my dreams. I'll definitely be doing some smaller tanks to replace the ponds in my garage after this is finished, but not for some time.

basslover34;2996986; said:
What might you be talking about??? :raspberry
I think you have a secret! Just start a thread already lol. Is it gonna be one of those things where you've completed it already and will just post up pics and be done with it? :screwy::D

greengiant;2997223; said:
Basslovers just dreaming like the rest of us.:j/k:the routing looks great good idea to protect the MFKers that stop by. the kids will likely be fine only MFKers would poke out an eye getting to close to check out the craftsmanship.you need to put mats on the floor so you can relax and see in the tank though.
lol, I think we can just put up some fishing chairs to sit back and relax while viewing it. I'll put up some warning signs for any mfkrs!

TheFishGuy;2997306; said:
My wifes cooking is too good to be posting pictures of myself LOL
I'm the only cook in my house!! lol

Here's a pic of some things that I've picked up for possible use as my drain through the wall. I will have to solvent weld a piece of 4" pipe to the flange spacer for it to work. Couldn't find a 4" flange that wasn't made of metal. Here's the pics.

IMG_6949.JPG

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
I posted pics and all I get is bass' tongue! lol. I'm gonna cry now. Usually when I check this thing there's like 5 new pages asking me when there's gonna be water in it or how come I'm not putting any pbass in it, or sting rays. I told you guys that if you send me a fish you'd like to go in the tank I'll put it in there. I just can't promise how long it will last! lol.

necrocanis

Catfish God
Staff member
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2005
montana
Oh and here's a pic of the Jau for good measure! No progress on the tank today as I worked from 8 a.m. till just now, which is 11 p.m. Gonna feed the fish and go to bed!

IMG_6953.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store