180 Gallon Stand and Canopy Build

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
bythebay;4924343; said:
First off I'd like to say I love the bottom plywood idea and definately think I'll be using that for my build. Second, how come you had the inside vertical 2x4 that goes from the top of the stand to the plywood? Is the for structure or ease of building? Btw I am building a stand for a 36x30x20 ~93 gallon tank so not sure if I'll need the extra structure that your 180 has if that's the reason for the extra wood?

Can't wait to see an update!

Thanks,

Josh

Josh
The vertical inside 2x4's are simply there for support to attach the ones that are supporting the horizontal ones, if that makes sense. They don't have anything to support :) Some use brackets there, but I prefer the 2x4 to give that vertical basically a 4x4 to prevent twisting...which is highly unlikely, but it's easier to do in the build.

Here is my updated pics with the outside on now and will work on the trim next week :)

ExoticEctotherms

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2007
South Jersey
Looks really good so far. I like how you did the outside of the stand much differently than you normally see. I'm about to start a stand build for the same size tank, so your build is part of my research...lol.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
lmartelli77;4928932; said:
Looks really good so far. I like how you did the outside of the stand much differently than you normally see. I'm about to start a stand build for the same size tank, so your build is part of my research...lol.
Glad I could help give ideals...i'll be getting the trim on in the next week or so with work and all, then comes the doors and stain. Next is the hood :)

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Should get the trim next weekend :) Work is taking a lot of time and i'll get some more pics up when that is complete and start staining also.

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
Working on the stain today, will get some pics up once done. Trim is going to have to wait a week or two because I want the expensive stuff and need the funds :)

Paulbearer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Marion, NC
I will make the canopy to be the same as the stand with the same tounge in groove style. I have already stained the stand, just waiting on the funds to finish with the fancy stuff :) Will update here soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store