2 lithodoras dorsarlis grow out.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Saying that. Look at the size of the dorsal fin on the lighter coloured fish, compared to the rest.
Yes I have wondered about that over the years.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Looks like I should take my words back. The appearance of the fish in the video, where it is covered with large plates in the fashion of scales including below the lateral line, looks like the norm for the large adults (which for some reason looks like a human disease where skin flakes off and grosses me out). So I take back the "weird" comment. And the snout may be only a bit shorter. It appears smashed because of the overall puffiness of the fish, it's just bursting with mass, including the snout (!), probably just fat reserves and not swelling / water retention. I don't think this is bloat, or not all of it at least, because of how evenly puffed up the fish is everywhere on the body, including the mentioned snout fat deposits. The whole thing looks unhealthy indeed but the pic of the wild one, the last one from KRich shows a very fat specimen too. The fat hoarding could be a seasonal thing, as with many other animals living in the feast and famine conditions season-wise. The eyes look ill.

The litho in the video is affected by the tank mates, likely like that piraiba that swam under it. The fins bear evidence of old and fresh trauma.

Variation of the base colors within the drab realm (blackish, greyish, yellowish, brownish, dirty-whitish, bronzish, etc.) is known to not mean much beyond the effect of the environment and sometimes geographic variation, which again is probably due to the said environment; whether these variation became hard wired and made it into the fish DNA is a separate and hard topic. This is if we are talking about permanent colors and not transient, mood-related colors, like breeding, defending, getting caught, etc.

Polypterus_36

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2021
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter Predatory Fins has the real deals and they are marked down at one hundred dollars each!
This I have to confirm.
I bought a Lithodoras from him last weekend. I just couldn't resist with such the low price. Fish is doing great so far. He ate pellets an hour after he arrived home. He's active at night where he just cruises around the tank, but for most of the day he chills behind a log.
Pretty cool to think I got my hands on a doradid that I have been looking for a while.
One from the group he had left was blind in one eye. This is just a warning for anyone who wants to buy one online, as they may get a blind specimen. Not too big a deal though.
20211017_145102.jpg

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Predatory fins is moving upstate to Long Island. They have super cheap fish now. This is your time!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Awesome!
How's he doing so far?
Pretty good actually,nice and active.It already follows my other one around the tank and I was surprised that it sucked a few of the pellets that I dropped in for the other fish.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
This ones from a Brazil shipment, I’ve been banging on to one supplier for years to get me some. He did bring two in, one didn’t make the journey to the uk though. Much cheaper price tag this time. Around 10”

View attachment 1479070
Outstanding

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store