2 month Tiger Oscars are still shy

David Foster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Omaha, NE
Hi I'm new to MonsterFishKeepers and this is my first post. My first post is looking for some advice, I have a pair of Oscars that I've had for about 2 months that are still shy and hide when I approach the tank. They have definitely grown since I bought them and they swim around freely until I come up to the tank. I will feed them frozen blood worms and they will come out grab it and then just go back to hiding. Mine are in a 120g with a 30g sump refugium sump filtration system. I do once a week 25-30% water changes and I test the water frequently to check for any causes of this behavior. I also have a smaller Dinosaur Bichir and Reed fish in the tank with them that like to hide too but that is normal for them from what I understand. I would try the 48hr starvation method but Im worried about the Bichir and the reed fish because when it comes to feeding the Oscars obviously dominate the food. The Bichir is honestly more out going and curious the the Oscars and the reed fish only really comes out at night. In the picture below all the fish like to hide underneath the driftwood on the right side of the tank.Should I just put up with it until the Oscars are just too big to hide or is there something I can do to get them swimming around the tank sooner? Any advice would be helpful, please and thanks!!IMG_0110.JPG

David Foster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Omaha, NE
Thanks for such the quick responses!!! I had to look up the term dither fish because Im kind of a noob but from what I can tell it seems legit! My tank is in my living room where me and my girlfriend spend most of our time. My tank is 5 foot long, 2 foot tall and 18 inches front to back. What kind of fish would you recommend and how many? I have 4 fish in the tank now but it normally appears empty due to the hiding. From what I'm reading a lot of people use giant danios.

David Foster

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Omaha, NE
I kinda think a school of like 4 silver dollars would be cool but Im not sure if that would be stocking the tank too heavy.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
They can get preety big, saw a pack of them that were full size, 5 inches would think it would be hard for then to catch them at that size.

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
Some of the larger growing rainbow fish,
Boesemani or red can work well,

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I recently started my tank with one dark tiger oscar who would sit in his cave day and night. Bored and frustrated, I went to the lfs and got the most rambunctious white tiger oscar i could find (the one that mauled my finger when i put it in the tank.)

Ever since white oscar got there dark oscar has come out of his shell. They're always swimming together front and center of the tank and doing what appear to be courtship rituals.

Anyways maybe the addition of a smaller more rambunctious cichlid might help if you don't want schoolers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store