2 Severums dead

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Although fry damage is a possible scenario, it is really only a theory.
Most research usually predicts fry are most likely to be the victims of high nitrate than adults, anything over 40 ppm can do acute damage, many aquarists accept 20ppm as normal.
In my tanks I try to go no higher than 5 ppm, with the use of every other day 30-40% water changes, and emergent plants like pothos, and papyrus in planted sump/refugiums.
I must, admit your problem has no obvious cause to me.

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
0CF7A90C-42B9-44F1-95D7-8FCAE8752451.jpeg
Although fry damage is a possible scenario, it is really only a theory.
Most research usually predicts fry are most likely to be the victims of high nitrate than adults, anything over 40 ppm can do acute damage, many aquarists accept 20ppm as normal.
In my tanks I try to go no higher than 5 ppm, with the use of every other day 30-40% water changes, and emergent plants like pothos, and papyrus in planted sump/refugiums.
I must, admit your problem has no obvious cause to me.
I do have a large pothos plant on this tank. I put it in this summer due to my nitrate problem. All my other tanks get about a 75% water change a week and I don’t have nitrate problems.

This frustrates me to no end. I will see if my well can handle back to back large water changes to get the nitrates down and I will feed less.

Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it. If I lose another fish in this tank the same way I may pull my hair out. Hahaha

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
A drop of 7 to 6.8 is very normal and shouldn't be problem unless the water right out of the tap its 8.4 or higher. running straight into a 6.8 pH tank
Nitrates tend to be a chronic problem and usually affect older fish, over the long term, and they first show signs like hole in the head scarring.
Maybe the well has high nitrate already, are you in a rural area?
Or if there is a lot of gunk built up behind the back ground that could be the nitrate factory, maybe some dead baby severums stuck there?.
Or as you say over feeding.
I wanted just to note Incase someone was reading this thread for info that none of the fish in the tank nor the 2 Severums showed any signs of HITH. No lateral line erosion nothing.

Thank you again for your help

Nikkijas

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2018
A drop of 7 to 6.8 is very normal and shouldn't be problem unless the water right out of the tap its 8.4 or higher. running straight into a 6.8 pH tank
Nitrates tend to be a chronic problem and usually affect older fish, over the long term, and they first show signs like hole in the head scarring.
Maybe the well has high nitrate already, are you in a rural area?
Or if there is a lot of gunk built up behind the back ground that could be the nitrate factory, maybe some dead baby severums stuck there?.
Or as you say over feeding.
I wanted just to note Incase someone was reading this thread for info that none of the fish in the tank nor the 2 Severums showed any signs of HITH. No lateral line erosion nothing.

Thank you again for your help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store