2 x fx6 in sequence?

s4m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Has anyone ever done this? I dont have enough room to fit the two outlets side by sidevon the rim of my tank due to the braces, i was thinking about having one intake from one fx6, the outlet from the same filter going to the in on the other then the out from the second fx6 returning to the tank.... only issue i could think of is when they purge after a minute but if you started and stopped tbem at exactly the same time i cant see that it would matter?

I have a 280 gallon system and i need more filtration!

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
You have a 280 gallon tank and don't have room for two inlets and two outlets? I find that hard to believe. However, I think a better option than running the filters in series would be to make an intake that both filters can hook up to and then make a single outlet that they can both hook up to. This way you run both filters in parallel, using a common inlet and outlet.

s4m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
You have a 280 gallon tank and don't have room for two inlets and two outlets? I find that hard to believe. However, I think a better option than running the filters in series would be to make an intake that both filters can hook up to and then make a single outlet that they can both hook up to. This way you run both filters in parallel, using a common inlet and outlet.
I know what you are saying, but the internal braces only have a tity gap at each end to accommodate the pipework. Your idea of 2 into 1 makes more sense though, i would only need a Y piece to make 2 into 1.

The tank is not drilled otherwise i would fit the spare sump that i have. Not overkeen on HOB overflows

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Can you post a picture please? I'm having trouble picturing how your glass tank has such tiny spots between braces. Are the braces Euro-style braces?

s4m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Can you post a picture please? I'm having trouble picturing how your glass tank has such tiny spots between braces. Are the braces Euro-style braces?
Not the prettiest tank but its in the garage so doesnt matter too much!

20170216_192709.jpg

20170216_192734.jpg

s4m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2017
Does anyone else have any suggestions on how to up the volume of my filtration system?

Yoimbrian

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Twin cities
If you just want to add more bio media you could add a fluidized bed column after the fx6. If it's low pressure drop the pump should be able to handle it with minimal flow loss, and it would drastically beef up bio capacity (I don't see why you'd need two mechanical filters in series, since the first one would get it all...).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store