20 Long MN tank

Cdarling8

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
I’m thinking about not putting the orange spotted sunfish In the tank anymore. I’ve read they could become too dominant and scare off fish during feeding and I feel like it wouldn’t look right for my ideal goal. Maybe the logoerch could make a comeback and be my center piece?

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I’m thinking about not putting the orange spotted sunfish In the tank anymore. I’ve read they could become too dominant and scare off fish during feeding and I feel like it wouldn’t look right for my ideal goal. Maybe the logoerch could make a comeback and be my center piece?
should work, keep in mind logperch are sensitive to poor water quality and u should be fine

Cdarling8

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
should work, keep in mind logperch are sensitive to poor water quality and u should be fine
So they are like the canary in a mine? I feel it would be fair for it if I leave for a week and don’t do a water change with the biolaod for this tank
Maybe a topminnow or banded killi or mudminnow?

Cdarling8

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
I recently went on a tour of Bemidji State (Minnesota) and have decided I will go there for my college education. The campus sits on Lake Bemidji with many lakes near by. I will collect local fish for the tank. As well as plants, rocks, sand, etc

Here are all of the recorded fish found in surrounding lakes:

black bullhead, black crappie, bluegill, brown bullhead, burbot, hybrid sunfish, lake whitefish, largemouth bass, muskellunge, northern pike, pumpkinseed, rock bass, tullibee (cisco), walleye, yellow bullhead, yellow perch, bigmouth buffalo, freshwater drum, golden redhorse, goldeye, quillback, redhorse, shorthead redhorse, white sucker, banded killifish, blackchin shiner, blacknose shiner, brassy minnow, bluntnose minnow, brook stickleback, central mudminnow, creek chub, common shiner, emerald shiner, fathead minnow, finescale dace, golden shiner, Iowa darter, Johnny darter, logperch, mottled sculpin, mimic shiner, northern redbelly dace, river shiner, spottail shiner, tadpole madtom, trout-perch.

Out of these I was thinking either both species or Darter, 3 species of 2-3 minnows (totaling 6-7 total fish) and maybe the logperch added last so the tank can mature more. Any ideas what minnow species would be a good fit?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I recently went on a tour of Bemidji State (Minnesota) and have decided I will go there for my college education. The campus sits on Lake Bemidji with many lakes near by. I will collect local fish for the tank. As well as plants, rocks, sand, etc

Here are all of the recorded fish found in surrounding lakes:

black bullhead, black crappie, bluegill, brown bullhead, burbot, hybrid sunfish, lake whitefish, largemouth bass, muskellunge, northern pike, pumpkinseed, rock bass, tullibee (cisco), walleye, yellow bullhead, yellow perch, bigmouth buffalo, freshwater drum, golden redhorse, goldeye, quillback, redhorse, shorthead redhorse, white sucker, banded killifish, blackchin shiner, blacknose shiner, brassy minnow, bluntnose minnow, brook stickleback, central mudminnow, creek chub, common shiner, emerald shiner, fathead minnow, finescale dace, golden shiner, Iowa darter, Johnny darter, logperch, mottled sculpin, mimic shiner, northern redbelly dace, river shiner, spottail shiner, tadpole madtom, trout-perch.

Out of these I was thinking either both species or Darter, 3 species of 2-3 minnows (totaling 6-7 total fish) and maybe the logperch added last so the tank can mature more. Any ideas what minnow species would be a good fit?
Finescale dace.

Also would you consider collecting and shipping burbot? I think some people would be very interested

Cdarling8

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2018
The tank probably won’t have Darters, it’s too hard to get a permit (yes I need a permit to keep Darters in MN) and I don’t want to buy them. I also don’t think it’s legal to ship the burobt or how hard it would be to ship. The fish for the tank are as follows:
3-4 Sand shiners
4-5 red belly dace
2-3 finescale dace
Ghost shrimp
Snails

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The tank probably won’t have Darters, it’s too hard to get a permit (yes I need a permit to keep Darters in MN) and I don’t want to buy them. I also don’t think it’s legal to ship the burobt or how hard it would be to ship. The fish for the tank are as follows:
3-4 Sand shiners
4-5 red belly dace
2-3 finescale dace
Ghost shrimp
Snails
I would check on the burbot, since I don't think any state gives them special protected status.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
3-4 Sand shiners
4-5 red belly dace
2-3 finescale dace
Ghost shrimp
Snails
Ghost shrimp may get eaten, so get prepared if that happens

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store