200 dollars gott from dad that havent seen for 2 years

TheMightyOscar

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
New York
santoury;1060556; said:
To the guy that says firemouths are too large.... Angels get larger (you suggested those) Just a reminder.

Rams are awesome, so are kribs. I would actually try for a pair of firemouths - get a pair to form and get rid of the extras.
an angel would do better in a 30 than a few FM's would..especially if he wants to have other fish in the tank, he can keep a few juvi's in there, but what happens when they get to 6"+?, have you ever bred FM's? or had them at full size? if you have then you might know what i mean. i also would advise against a pair of angels in there unless you have two females..and there really isn't any way to sex them unless you have a good eye, angels are just as bad as any other cichlid protecting eggs or fry.

i'd go with one small angel, a pair of either blue rams or bolivian rams, a pair of kribs and a few corys, later on you can upgrade to a 55g or more tank.

OR, you can get a pair of dempseys and grow them out, when they hit 4" upgrade to a 55g and you'd be set

and yeah..CB dont put africans with sa/ca cichlids..

barley pop

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2006
IL
stay away from the rams they can be delicate.

get some more fm then when you have a pair form get rid of the rest.

that is what you have wanted from the begining ;)

Headrush

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2007
Upstate New York
xEchOx;1061040; said:
My point is that our Ph here is 7.6, and the water is fairly hard. He used no chemical treatment other than dechlorinator, and these rams have thrived. IMO, its all about the water the LFS has vs the water you keep in your tanks. If they are relatively similar, you shouldn't have a problem.

Go for German Blue Rams CB, they look awesome in breeding colors.
Right on IMO. I bought some rams about 2 months ago and they are doing fine in a pH of near 7.8! However, I plan on removing the sand and going back to gravel since the sand blew up my pH level before I knew it. They'll do OK, just try to do small water changes (25% max) with them to keep the stress to a minimum.:headbang2

I don't agree with FM's in a 30 at all. I've kept mine for 2 years. I'd put them in the 55 or leave them at the store.:grinno:

Headrush

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2007
Upstate New York
TheMightyOscar;1061309; said:
OR, you can get a pair of dempseys and grow them out, when they hit 4" upgrade to a 55g and you'd be set
I'd think you'd have to upgrade from 30 to at least 55 within 6 months if not sooner

So... make sure you'll have the cash for that next move. I was never one to think that the old "I'll upgrade later" was a good idea. Not that you wouldn't do it when needed, but a lot of people are all talk no action. Know what I mean?

Good luck!:D

:popcorn:

TheMightyOscar

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2006
New York
Headrush;1061536; said:
I'd think you'd have to upgrade from 30 to at least 55 within 6 months if not sooner

So... make sure you'll have the cash for that next move. I was never one to think that the old "I'll upgrade later" was a good idea. Not that you wouldn't do it when needed, but a lot of people are all talk no action. Know what I mean?

Good luck!:D

:popcorn:
dempseys are pretty slow growers, it depends on the feedings and water quality the most i guess. it also depends on how big the fish is when it is purchased.

CB..if you have a petland discounts there, they should have the special on 55gallon tanks..tank + iron stand - 90$..

Headrush

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2007
Upstate New York
TheMightyOscar;1062457; said:
dempseys are pretty slow growers, it depends on the feedings and water quality the most i guess. it also depends on how big the fish is when it is purchased.

CB..if you have a petland discounts there, they should have the special on 55gallon tanks..tank + iron stand - 90$..
I grew my JD in a 30 until it hit 4" and it looked like it was in a 10 gallon by then. That took less than 6 months, and I was feeding 2x per day, water changes 1x per week. I was feeding hikari gold, frozen bloodworms, and red worms (earthworms).

Your feeding regimen and water change schedule will determine your growth rate significantly, of course stress levels and other variables will factor in as well.

Headrush

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2007
Upstate New York
TheMightyOscar;1062457; said:

I grew my JD in a 30 until it hit 4" and it looked like it was in a 10 gallon by then. it was 1 1/2" when I bought her in January 2006. That took less than 6 months, and I was feeding 2x per day, water changes 1x per week. I was feeding hikari gold, frozen bloodworms, and red worms (earthworms). She is now over 6" in my 90

Your feeding regimen and water change schedule will determine your growth rate significantly, of course stress levels and other variables will factor in as well. I fed a high protein diet for the first year or longer (earthworms) and she packed it on pretty fast.

Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store