200 dollars gott from dad that havent seen for 2 years

Dread

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2007
Happytown :)
Yeah, skip a 55g if you can, in any way. I liked my 55g at first, since it's the biggest tank I've owned (aside from ponds and giant plywood tanks), but I'm starting to despise it. I see all these fish that I could keep happily if the tank was just a littttllle bit wider. 13.5'' wide won't get you much. The only exception is a "55 long".. I've never heard of them before a couple days ago. My LFS had one, and I forgot the exact measurements, but it's noticeablly shorter (height) and much wider, at about the same price. Soon, when this 55g is empty, it's getting turned into a planted wild Altum Angel tank, I think. Or some dwarf species like Blue Rams and Dwarf Acaras. Personally, after close and hard examination, 55gs aren't really good for much in the way of any fish over 10'', which is a serious bummer. They're pretty great for plants, though, I've found.

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Dread;1065352; said:
Yeah, skip a 55g if you can, in any way. I liked my 55g at first, since it's the biggest tank I've owned (aside from ponds and giant plywood tanks), but I'm starting to despise it. I see all these fish that I could keep happily if the tank was just a littttllle bit wider. 13.5'' wide won't get you much. The only exception is a "55 long".. I've never heard of them before a couple days ago. My LFS had one, and I forgot the exact measurements, but it's noticeablly shorter (height) and much wider, at about the same price. Soon, when this 55g is empty, it's getting turned into a planted wild Altum Angel tank, I think. Or some dwarf species like Blue Rams and Dwarf Acaras. Personally, after close and hard examination, 55gs aren't really good for much in the way of any fish over 10'', which is a serious bummer. They're pretty great for plants, though, I've found.

Now now ....they are also good sumps ....you know that ....:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Dread

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2007
Happytown :)
Yeah, I get more use out of my 10g than I do my 55g, I think. Maybe my 10g should be getting a 55g sump.. maybe a giant filter for a tiny tank. I wonder if that would actually work?

ddyerfamily

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 11, 2007
Kentucky
www.youtube.com
CB lives in WI ,toooooooo cold for pond anyway.(would need to bring fish in for winter,need big tank(& $$$$$) for that)
He can only have small tank.
He is young and still dependent on others for a home.
We all know the rules "It is up to the parents/gaurdian to say what tank/fish you can have" :nilly: :nilly: :nilly:
He will be of age soon and will be able to have the tank/fish of his wish.:headbang2

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
Dread;1065390; said:
Yeah, I get more use out of my 10g than I do my 55g, I think. Maybe my 10g should be getting a 55g sump.. maybe a giant filter for a tiny tank. I wonder if that would actually work?

That would be a Japanese style 10 LMAO! I LOVE my tens....Hospital....fry go/grow.....plants....stuff like snails (I like snails so I take the ones off the plants I buy and gave them a tank)....QT......I love tens, but you should have to have a permit to buy one lol (it would have stopped that guy in Seattle who has 2 pacus and 2 Redtail Barbs all over 7" in one tank:screwy: )

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
ddyerfamily;1065399; said:
CB lives in WI ,toooooooo cold for pond anyway.(would need to bring fish in for winter,need big tank(& $$$$$) for that)
He can only have small tank.
He is young and still dependent on others for a home.
We all know the rules "It is up to the parents/gaurdian to say what tank/fish you can have" :nilly: :nilly: :nilly:
He will be of age soon and will be able to have the tank/fish of his wish.:headbang2

:iagree: And on a side note.....Your sig,.....the paypal comment made me almost pee my damn self:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: PAYPAL:screwy: 1 Fricken dollar:ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: I was posting on that thread when he put that, and left it alone. But OMG!!! Sorry for the amtrack!

Headrush

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2007
Upstate New York
Not sure the dims of a 30 long but my 30 is 36" x 12" wide and taller than 12", maybe 16"???

One thing that will end up being VERY important to remember is that most cichlids live in the bottom 1/2 of the tank. This means that a longer, wider, shorter tank will be much better for these fish than a taller tank with a shorter length (when comparing tanks of the same volume).

So if you could find a tank (55 for example) that was shorter but wider, or longer than the standard, I'd go with that over the normal 55 any day....as long as its wide enough for your fish to turn comfortably as an adult.

So...your fish will be much happier in the same volume of water.

Good luck :D

P.S. You're from Wisconsin? GO PACK GO!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store