200 Gal DIY Project W/D Sump&Canopy

RBE17

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
Coopersburg, Pa 18036
The DIY filters are awesome and another example of what can be built w/ things that are available to the everyday person. A little imagination and work can go a long way.

Triton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
New Jersey
This post is a little overdue due to some lessons learned :wall:

First off, I go on my Christmas vacation to California for two weeks. The 200g tank is not done, but everything is working. Two days before I'm supposed to fly back, the house sitter calls up and says that the carpet around the 200g tank is all wet (~30 gals leaked out). She can't see any active leaks. I call a friend to vacuum up the carpet and have the big goldfish transported to the 55g. I didn't have a net big enough for the Pleco (he's about a foot in length now), so he stayed in the 200g with the smaller goldfish. Hopefully, the bioload wouldn't be too much until I got back.

Three days later when I get back, the 200g tank looks like green tea. I transport the remainder of the fish and plants into the 55g. Knowing I cranked up the bioload in my 55g, I planned on increasing my water changes until I could fix the 200g. After three days of drying the carpet with a heat blower, I got another setback when both my blue lobsters died. I tested the 55g tank, and the ammonia had shot up to .4ppm :eek: :nilly:

I was very surprised that the ammonia had shot up so quickly. I learned not to underestimate the filthyness of goldfish. I then did water changes to slowly bring the Ammonia down over the next three days. Now I test the water everyday, while they're all crammed in the 55g.

I couldn't find where the leak in the sump system was, so I just decided to start from scratch and I scrapped the original sump system.:duh:

I also noticed my goldfish had babies right before we left, had babies again in the 200g, and then more babies after they were put back in the 55g. I have 3 fry that are now a month old, 12 fry that are 3 weeks old and another 12 that are 2 weeks old. So, now I'm breaking out the O'l brine shrimp hatchery to grow food for the little fry.

I'll have some pics up soon. Things are going a lot quicker with the sump the second time around. This time, I'm using a single 54 gal rubbermaid I got at Home Depot for $26 :). Wish me luck on Sump 2.0

invisyblegypsey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Toms River NJ.08757
great job!
for the leak look the bottom of the sump over well around where the pump sit.
i have had to replace 2 containers befor i made a pad/stand for my magdrives.
the vibration cracks the plastic tanks. i had to hold a light up to mine to see it. it was so small. once i made the pad for the pumps i had no more problems.
something else i did was add a small bilge pump and batterie with a float switch
incase the power goes out.(learnd that the hard way ) on new carpet.
befor i re plumbed my tank/tanks now to a sump in the garage. that was the best move i could make since i dont use the garage for anything but fish tanks and my basses

Triton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
New Jersey
Another long over due update on my tank. Got an unexpected algae bloom a few weeks ago. Then the female black moor got a fungus growth on its eye. Despite treating it early, it died the other day after a week of trying to treat it.

I took out the algae scrubber and installed a 36W turbo twist UV sterilizer. I also added a check valve for extra protection.

I went out on a trip for 4 days and the goldfish almost ate all of the anacharis. Thats why these new pics you'll see just a few small bundles of it in the plant.

It will probably be another month before I can get the tree stump clean and ready for the tank.

Some new pics...

tank2.0a.JPG

tank2.0c.JPG

tank2.0cv.JPG

tank2.0uvs.JPG

tank2.0d.JPG

tank2.0e.JPG

Triton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
New Jersey
I finally got the tree stump cleaned and I'll be giving it some hot water baths tomorrow in the bath tub. I noticed some spots of algae growing on the back side of the tank since I unhooked my algae scrubber. I think I'll be finding a way to hook it back up.

I'll be posting a question in the illness/disease section, but I'll ask it here as well. The tree stump I found was in brackish water and just covered with muck and algae. It has been out of the water for 4 months and I have sanded everything off the stump that could be reached by my dremel. My question relates to any possible pathogens/bacteria/virus/??? that might come to life once it is placed into a freshwater tank? I have a 36W UV sterilizer, but that would only kill anything floating in the water (with the proper flow). My pleco likes to chew on wood, so I'm worried that something bad might come back to life in the woods cracks, he'd eat it and make him very sick or die. Anyone have any insights on this?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Suks to hear you've had so many problems. Hopefully you'll get it all straightened out and be right back on track.

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
It looks good but I would recommend replacing the brass fitting with a pvc fitting. No need to take any unnecessary risks. Unfortunately I know next to nothing about driftwood. :(

wow_it_esploded

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Over The Rainbow
First of all, I would suggest finding a way to put the algae scrubber back into commission, it should help with the large bioload of those goldfish!

BTW, beautiful fish! It is sad that you lost the moor!

Triton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
New Jersey
You're right Pharoah, all these problems do suck!:irked: But I am learning from them!:duh: This second wet/dry has been working pretty good, the UV sterilizer has helped out alot.

After becoming spoiled of not having to scrub algae from my tank for three months, I was upset to see algae growing on my tank so soon after unhooking the scrubber. Wow's comment confirmed that I really do need to get it back, so I did reconnect it today.

On a side note, I did try to look for a pvc type check valve but could not find one, only brass. Anyone know of any pvc check valves?

Thanks for the comment, seamus.

Below are some pics of my tank so far...
(Sharkie and another gold fish are not in the pics right now due to being picked on by a few of the other fish)

#1 driftwood before and after
#2 Wet/dry with the algae scrubber re-installed
#3 Algae spots growing in the bakground
#4 Current tank look before driftwood
#5 Sibling fish with daddy moor
#6 Last baby fish survivor in Java Fern nursery

driftwood3.jpg

wdsump2.0as.jpg

moorpleco1.jpg

tank200g4-09.jpg

fishring.jpg

babyfish1.jpg