200 Gal DIY Project W/D Sump&Canopy

Triton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
New Jersey
Maybe I should have titled this thread, 200g: will take a long time.
Last September, I got the wood for the canopy, cut it into the proper lengths and then stained it in one day. I had the wood drying in the shed outside. When the stain was done drying, I decided it wasn't the right shade and looked for a darker stain. A week later, I found the right stain, but the weather started getting worse. Nine months later, the weather is now more bearable and I finished staining it, dried it and nailed it all together. Two days work over nine months :shakehead

Well, here's my completed canopy...

canopy1.jpg

canopy2.jpg

canopy3.jpg

canopy4.jpg

canopy5.jpg

canopy6.jpg

Triton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
New Jersey
I re-organized the tank due to trying out some new plants in the tank. I'm trying out an idea to protect the plants from the goldfishes constant digging. Anubias, Java fern have survived. Java moss and anacharis ended up being lunch. Hoping the amazon sword and vals will be able to survive. Luckily, the driftwood has had no effect on my water clarity.

This should conclude my DIY sump/canopy for now. Thanks to all for the input. :)

tankjune09e.jpg

tankjune09.jpg

tankjune09a.jpg

tankjune09b.jpg

tankjune09c.jpg

tankjune09d.jpg

shrumr0690

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2009
Sacramento, CA
That is amazing, what you did to that tree stump. How long did it take?

Triton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2008
New Jersey
When I first started sanding the wood with my dremel, it was a lot of work. I was using sandpaper, which wasn't working too well with the wet wood. I let it dry out for a month, then I used a steel carving bit. This speeded up things really good. The driftwood had a lot of surface area, cracks and nooks. Probably spent 12 hours total sanding it down over those two months. Could have done it in half the time if I started with the steel carving bit.

Thankfully, it came out pretty good in the end. I put it in the bathtub for a hot soaking and no visible tanins when I put it in the tank. :headbang2

katschamne

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Geneva, IL
The tank looks great. I really like the canopy. You matched the stand perfectly. I have to say I think adding a canopy really completes the look and makes it look like a piece of furniture.

D-WALT

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 2, 2009
North Carolina
oh man that tank is super nice! i really like the DIY sump!
ill be watching for updates:popcorn:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store