22" hoplias Aimara and self bred H.Malabaricus

Flachsi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2015
Germany
Yes the sponge filtration works good.

The tank is running since a week after this desaster. Now with
a trio Leopoldi x Bd Rays, 5x WC Rio Meta Orino Peacock Bass, 10x Flagtails and 2x Ripsaw catfishes.

IMG_2641.JPG IMG_2642.JPG IMG_2643.JPG IMG_2672.JPG IMG_3722.JPG IMG_3882.JPG IMG_4178.JPG IMG_4263.JPG IMG_4264.JPG IMG_4370.JPG IMG_4375.JPG IMG_4527.JPG

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Flachsi Flachsi what is your filtration comprised of? Any pics of how the corner mattens are setup and your filtration. Will need to research as I am curious.

Also, how often to vaccum your tank? I am trying to figure out closed loop versus sump for future setup. Thing I love about closed loop is you can set it up to never clean the bottom.

Flachsi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2015
Germany
My Filtration is based of two selfmade Spongefilter PPI10 (HMF, Hamburger Matten Filter) in the corners, running each with a 3000l Tunze silence.

Also i have two circulation pump.
-PantaRhei HydroWizard ECM42 (11.280l/h)
-Newa Wave 9.7 (9.700l/h)

I only vacuum some on my weekly Waterchange. Not so much. But the HMF can't take big pieces of dirt.

The size of the Sponges and the Tunze are calculated (optimal flow rate,...) to my tank.

On my Rhombeus tank i use also an selfmade HMF but Air powered.

IMG_2752.JPG IMG_2753.JPG IMG_2754.JPG IMG_2757.JPG IMG_4394.JPG IMG_2905.JPG

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Thanks for the pics and info. I have done a bunch of research today on these filters and it is amazing how cheap it is to set them up. Looks like you have close to 10x turnover for total flow which is great in your size tank. Did you add any additional bio other than the sponges? Through my research I have found lots of folks will throw bags of biomedia behind the sponges on top of an air pump.

Btw, you have the largest tank with this style of filter from what I have found. I am assuming it worked well for all of keep your ammonia and nitrites at 0.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
On last question. Did you have have the extra two pumps in use with the aimara or were they recent additions? I cant tell from your old pics/vids.

Flachsi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2015
Germany
No the sponges are the only bio on my filtration.

No, Michael Böttner here in Germany has a bigger Tank perfectly running with HMF in the corners.

The NEWA9.7 has been in the tank with the Aimara, the ECM42 is an recent addition and make best work on linear watermoving. No low oxygen corners and all of the ''dirt'' is moving into the middle of the tank so i can easy vacuum it. I Love it! :)

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
No the sponges are the only bio on my filtration.

No, Michael Böttner here in Germany has a bigger Tank perfectly running with HMF in the corners.

The NEWA9.7 has been in the tank with the Aimara, the ECM42 is an recent addition and make best work on linear watermoving. No low oxygen corners and all of the ''dirt'' is moving into the middle of the tank so i can easy vacuum it. I Love it! :)
Do you remember the radius of each corner filter and the sq cm of your sponge sizes? I am curious. I have found the calculator linked below but the numbers I am getting for a 750g 10 x 4 (d) x 30 in (h) seems really big. I need to move a total of 5678 l/h split between the two corners. However, the calculator is telling me I need a radius 56cm for each corner. Those are some huge corner filters if that is the case.

http://www.deters-ing.de/Berechnungen/Berechnungen.htm#Mattengroesse

Flachsi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2015
Germany
Yes this is the site wich i have calculated my filters. I took a 5min and calculated some for your tank hope everything is right. Take a look over ist.

Yes a lot of space will lost.

Unbenannt.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store