220 build

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I agree, at my one LFS there was a 2" redtail somebody bought for their 20 gallon! I was so close to getting kicked out :). My other lfs has a 5" RTC growing like heck but have it labeled as min tank size 150 gallons. I'm going to go in with a pen next time and put another 0 on that, I really am :l. I'm tempte to rescue it but NO way I have a big enough tank.
Close to get kicked out :O What happened? I was in the same situation the other day (Ok, close) in my school one of the smaller classes has a fish tank, and i was there to get some ic (i burned the hell out of my hand) and it was so disgusting, the heater and filter was broken, the Whole front windowed was covered by algae, i was looking into the tank thinking "Thats one dead tank" and this little flagtail looking catfish swam up to me. I asked the teacher to put it Down, and she laughed me right in the face. And gave me the "its just a fish" look.. Sorry for the derail.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Close to get kicked out :O What happened? I was in the same situation the other day (Ok, close) in my school one of the smaller classes has a fish tank, and i was there to get some ic (i burned the hell out of my hand) and it was so disgusting, the heater and filter was broken, the Whole front windowed was covered by algae, i was looking into the tank thinking "Thats one dead tank" and this little flagtail looking catfish swam up to me. I asked the teacher to put it Down, and she laughed me right in the face. And gave me the "its just a fish" look.. Sorry for the derail.
Ignorant people just p!ss me off man. My school has a 55 (that they are close to giving to me) with every fish sick in it, nitrates are 180 plus, one Molly a close to giving birth and the fry won't likely survive, one platy is suffering to death on the bottom being eaten by a pleco, and the guy who owns it has the same response "they're just fish, they don't live more than a year is so". If he wasn't a guidance counselor i swear id punch his face in.

Oh and I almost got kicked out because I gave a 'loud lecture' to the people who bought the redtail about they didn't know what cycling was, they believed stunting was "good" for fish, and it was going in only a 20 gallon with about ten other community fish.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Feel most free to ignore the following.

I commend you on your zeal and good intentions but, IMHO, this is not how things can be changed, as we have just discussed; again, IMHO, neither can you "save/rescue" a fish by buying it - http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...EDTAILED-SHOVELNOSE/page2&highlight=cash+flow (post #18, mid-second page)

My other $0.02 is that a general tactic of hating/attacking people and loving/defending fish (or any pet) is faulty at its very "humane" root (unless perhaps the hurt put on a pet is intentional, not just ignorant). This amounts to "straining a gnat and swallowing a camel", IMHO.

Tyler, sorry, we are derailing.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Feel most free to ignore the following.

I commend you on your zeal and good intentions but, IMHO, this is not how things can be changed, as we have just discussed; again, IMHO, neither can you "save/rescue" a fish by buying it - http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...EDTAILED-SHOVELNOSE/page2&highlight=cash+flow (post #18, mid-second page)

My other $0.02 is that a general tactic of hating/attacking people and loving/defending fish (or any pet) is faulty at its very "humane" root (unless perhaps the hurt put on a pet is intentional, not just ignorant). This amounts to "straining a gnat and swallowing a camel", IMHO.

Tyler, sorry, we are derailing.
I remember we discussed the saving a fish when buying it thing, when Furiusfish bought hes RTC/TSN hybrid. When you buy such a fish as and RTC (I think the RTC's are wild caught, due to the fact they should have Brown meat, and Arent farmed for meat) you dont save it from a small tank, you make them order a new one in for the small tank. Noone should buy fish like RTC, Arapaima, or other monsters from lfs, because it promotes the sale. I'm sure the people that can house these Dream fish, can go trough the trouble of special ordering them. Local fish stores should not sell big big imo (When big i mean fish that have the potential to get 3 - 4 feet plus) and when they even write misleading Things such as "It only grows to the size of its tank" or "It only needs 150 gallons" its even worse. Those lfs Guys can be very could at convincing people this, and i know from 1st hand expirience. I can sometimes still stand listening to a "lfs guy" and think, well that sounds to be true, even tho i know it isnt. And example is that a Danish chain pet store, says on their website, that bowls are good for goldfish, and they state alot about the fish, but just not their fullgrown size.... Again sorry for the derail, i think that meny of us know the pain of seeing a fish thats neglected, and then get the "its just a fish" when we ask them to do something about, because we know its so much more than "just a fish". I mean sure, i we all (Atleast i do) miss a waterchange, sometimes, but then when we remember, we dont think "I'm sure its gonna be fine tomorrow" we change the Water, and vacuum the bottom :)

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Sorry for the huge derail here. Its good to see that BigTrain is doing something to make the condition better :D

TylerT

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2014
Terre haute Indiana
Ok cool,I heard the big cats and fish will eat the small rocks? Yeah my buddy works at Lfs they have a big pond I have sold cats to them in the past so if worst comes to worst they baby sit it for a little bit lol,I had a 55 gallon tank 5 years ago which I just recently bought back off my friend,wanting to build a 500 plus gallon tank I have a garage full of tools and my step dad's good with wood work so shouldn't be to hard

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Ok cool,I heard the big cats and fish will eat the small rocks? Yeah my buddy works at Lfs they have a big pond I have sold cats to them in the past so if worst comes to worst they baby sit it for a little bit lol,I had a 55 gallon tank 5 years ago which I just recently bought back off my friend,wanting to build a 500 plus gallon tank I have a garage full of tools and my step dad's good with wood work so shouldn't be to hard
Yeh, the large cats sometimes swallow gravel. The thing about the Red tails are, they dont need a 500gal tank, or a 1000gal for that sake.. They need something like 10x8x3 - 4 feet, and thats much more that 1000 gallons, and that is IMO the bare minimum. The RTC is a very active catfish, and the Tiger SHovelnose is and active hunter, therefor also very active.. These fish should not be sold in normal lfs, and as i stated before, its even worse when they tell people the minimum tank size is 150gallon.. My question is, how is a 4 feet fish gonna live in a 2 wide tank...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store