220 gallon, two overflows with FX4 filtration

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
After my Sump sprung a leak I put some FX sixes on my tank I put the return in the Overflow and I have the drain in the main tank that way I don't have to deal with that sucking air problem that being said this summer I will be reinstalling my Sump because that is the way to go in my opinion
I’m not sure I understand what you mean here. Do you have one going in and another coming out?

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I’m not sure I understand what you mean here. Do you have one going in and another coming out?
I have the outputs in the overflows so the water direction is "reversed" and flows into the tank from the weirs. Then I have the filter inputs in the main tank.

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Ok that makes sense. Basically you took a bulkhead and flipped it inside out. That might work if op has an overflow of a bulkhead.

jwb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2019
I was poking around on You Tube last evening and found a few hobbyist that are doing just what I am proposing to do with my 220. One had an FX6, I think it was, on a dual overflow tank with the overflow drain hooked to the input of the filter and the output of the filter was plumbed into the overflow return line. The other person had an FX5 plumbed into a single overflow system and both reported that the system was working fine. No mention of air bubbles being a problem with the filters. That doesn't mean no one is having issues trying this, it just means I haven't seen any mention of issues yet.

I picked up some supplies today for the install. I'm planning on using braided tubing for the lines between the bulkhead and the filters as it was much easier to find pvc connections for instead of using the piping that comes with the filters and it is also clearer so I can monitor what is going on. I got a ball valve for each line that will go between the bulkheads and the filter to help control the flow rate if needed. There will be no 90 degree elbows to alter flow rates or head pressure, just smooth bends in the flexible plumbing going to and from the filters.

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
The most important factors with installing a canister are to make sure the intake is fully submerged, avoid air bubbles, and install below the waterline. If you plumb in your canisters, just make sure the intake standpipe is very short or don't use one at all. Return lines can be configured any way you choose, for the most part. To remove the canisters for maintenance, shut off the inline valves on the filter, disconnect, and clean.

jwb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2019
Thanks aotechs...shorter stand pipe on the intake is exactly what the LFS tech and I were discussing when I purchased the tank and proposed my setup to him. Since the stand pipe that came with the tank is already assembled and glued when you purchase them I plan on shortening it to about one third the overflow height. First I will measure its length so that if in the future I should want to use it a different way I will know its original length.

I am also thinking that when a power failure occurs I should not have to be concerned with tank water feeding back in excessive amounts as the canister would be full of water already. With the braided tubing I will be using I shouldn't have to be concerned with any ruptures in the water lines either.

Zimbick

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2018
Cape Coral, FL
210g with overflows, sump on one side set up like a traditional wet dry. I plumbed an FX5 on the other side. I used the return line to the tank but use the FX5 intake outside of the overflow in the main tank to avoid it sucking more than the overflow can return. Works great. Same setup on a 300g with an FX6 but than overflow flows enough I can put the return in it and it wont cause an air issue.

jwb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2019
Thanks Zimbick for the info. Glad it is working for you. I plumbed the two FX4s in today and cut both overflow return piping down to 10 inches so it should be totally submerged. Leaving the glued pvc connections setup over the weekend to be sure they are completely cured before filling tank. In the meantime I will decide on a background and get the lighting set up. I need to get some large driftwood for the aquascaping also.

jwb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2019
Still trying to decide on stocking for this tank. Either larger community fish or CA/SA cichlids.

jwb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2019
Finished set up of 220 today and everything is working great. Ended up using the stock tubing that came with the FX4s because the braided tubing was too stiff for the space and 1" clear tubing was not available. This will most likely be temporary until I can acquire some clear tubing. I shortened the intake bulkhead piping in the overflow to 10" and it stays completely submerged so no bubble problems for the FX4 filters. With an FX4 on each of the overflows there will be plenty of turnover to keep things clean and oxygen rich.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store