220gal Central American Biotope (ongoing thread...)

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
Hey all,

I've posted my setup on here previously but not since this new subforum has been created, which is right up my alley. I've always tried to replicate nature within my tanks and enjoy the aquascaping aspect of the hobby just as much as the fish themselves.

This is my current 220gal CA biotope.
20190115_211037.jpg

Scaping has been kind of rubbish over the past several months as I've removed and added some fish, causing me to constantly tear into it. I've also been waiting for that large piece of wood to sink, which it finally just did the other day after several months of it floating about the tank. Overall it doesn't look half bad for most of it just being thrown together haphazardly. The current stock includes:
Pair of C. pearsei
2x P. synspilum (maybe a pair?)
8x C. robertsoni (6m/2f)
I recently added the synspilum and removed a group of T. pasiones. The two synspilum will most likely be removed soon as they have proved to be real punks, shredding the pearsei's once perfect fins, as well as constantly picking scales off the robertsoni. Once the synspilum are removed, I have a group of green swordtails that I'd like to add. I will most likely keep it at that until something comes along that I "have to have".

A few of my pearsei, which are my oldest fish to date at 7 years old...
20190115_211854(0).jpg 20190115_211818(0).jpg 20190115_211802.jpg

And a few of one of the pairs of robertsoni...
20190115_211439.jpg 20190115_211631.jpg 20190115_211634.jpg

I hope to keep this thread updated, occasionally posting pictures and perhaps even some short videos. I'd really like to see some successful spawning out of this tank, however no such luck yet...

Thanks for looking.

Lilyann

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2017
Very nicely done-- an authentic-looking biotope arrangement.
Looking forward to your updates. :)

Reactions: cjdesmit

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
stunning scape and fish, I think just sticking to the pearsei and robertsoni with some dithers would be the way to go.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I love the lighting. The spot lighting the fish with the dark areas on either side. It looks really nice and creates a real feeling of depth

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
stunning scape and fish, I think just sticking to the pearsei and robertsoni with some dithers would be the way to go.
Dan, you are 100% right. The pearsei have been the only real permanent inhabitants since I got the tank. I've come close to selling them but can never bring myself to do it. They are older than my dog! I've had T. meeki in there, as well as M. argentea, and the T. pasiones like I mentioned previously.

I think the addition of the swords will help complete it, however I'm a bit unsure how they will fair. The pearsei took a liking to some black Yucatan mollies I use to have in there. I've also had a large school of Buenos Aires tetras, which while they faired well, took away from the overall relaxing feel of the tank IMO.

Reactions: cselandscape

cjdesmit

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2010
USA, Indiana
I love the lighting. The spot lighting the fish with the dark areas on either side. It looks really nice and creates a real feeling of depth
I've always enjoyed playing with lightning as I feel it is often overlooked and can really change the way a scape looks and feels. I'd like to experiment with some of the newer programmable rgb LED spotlights that are out, however their prices are still pretty steep.

Reactions: mrrobxc

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Hi Chris.
The tank looks stunning as usual.
Would definitely move on the Veija now they have a taste for scales, you won't stop it once they start.
I think your pearsei are stunning.
Overall a fantastic set up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store