240g Acrylic tank build thread (PIC HEAVY)

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Figured I would update this tank as it's coming up on 1 year since it's been up and running now (about 10 months to be exact I believe).

Everything has been going really well with this tank. Only lost maybe a fish or two over the year but mostly everyone is happy healthy and colored up very nice and getting really big. The two fx5's keep it where I only have to do Wc's about every two weeks (60%) but I usually try to do them every 10 days just for the heck of it. Could easily go longer if I wanted though.

Got our winter club auction coming up next month so may end up getting a few more pick ups for this tank there. Thinking of maybe adding a group of Syno cats but we'll see.

Updated vid from today. The nice coat of algae on the background make for a very natural look now and the mbuna in the tank are constantly feeding off of it.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Fish are looking good Steve.
Loving the dolphin and compressiceps.

background still looking banging.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Time for an update on the 240g tank. Been awhile since I updated this tank and have made some minor changes here and there with some things and decor, also have changed some stocking over the year. Lost my big eyebiter back in the spring which sucked but it was such a big old fish it was just his time. Took out most the peacocks and trying to stay strictly haps and mbuna now, still have a couple peacocks in with them but they have been doing fine for the past 6 months so they will stay in for now.

Got three canisters running on it now to handle the bio load. Pair of fx5's and a big eheim. Just scored some really nice fish from the club auction and pretty much have the stocking finished now. Wont be adding anything else to the tank as it is heavily stocked now. Makes for a very active and enjoyable tank to sit and watch with a cup of coffee though, great way to start the morning each day.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Well I am starting to feel like an addict lol. Everytime I say "thats it no more I am done" I end up going back out and getting more :) A just couldn't past this up though. Brought home five new fish for the 240g today. A fellow club member had some fish that were just such great quality bloodlines I could not walk out of his fish room without them. I got two 5" White Knights, two 5" Deep Water haps, and a 5" male Livingstonii.

The stock in the 240 is just unreal now, I couldn't be happier with it and as some of them guys are aready big like the champ which is close to 12" now, some of them still have lots of growing to do so I have to stop adding fish now. Thats it, I'm done, no really I meant it this time lol ;)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Well I am starting to feel like an addict lol. Everytime I say "thats it no more I am done" I end up going back out and getting more :) A just couldn't past this up though. Brought home five new fish for the 240g today. A fellow club member had some fish that were just such great quality bloodlines I could not walk out of his fish room without them. I got two 5" White Knights, two 5" Deep Water haps, and a 5" male Livingstonii.

The stock in the 240 is just unreal now, I couldn't be happier with it and as some of them guys are aready big like the champ which is close to 12" now, some of them still have lots of growing to do so I have to stop adding fish now. Thats it, I'm done, no really I meant it this time lol ;)

Very nice S Steve_C ! I’ve always wondered how African keepers manage their self control. Ide be broke and overstocked in an afternoon

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
Great looking fish as always. I'm the same way with my hap tank, everytime I see something nice I tell myself this is the last one. I just picked up Livingstoni, spectabilis, rostratus, and kiwinge a few weeks ago.

I did manage to walk out of the lfs yesterday without the big o.b. borelyi they had. I need another champ since mine ended up female.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Very nice S Steve_C ! I’ve always wondered how African keepers manage their self control. Ide be broke and overstocked in an afternoon
You don't. You get coping mechanisms..........like more tanks or bigger tanks.

S Steve_C The tank looks great. I really like that dolphin. Can you post a pic or two of him please man.
And I have always been partial to a colony of yellow labs. Aggressive enough to be fun and peaceful enough to be relaxing. Also, prolific enough to be the gift that keeps giving.

Reactions: JK47

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
There's actually three dolphins in there right now, all three about the same size 7"-8" range at the moment. I got the trio of them when they were about 4". I'll snap a few pics of them for ya.

I moved one of my albino BNP's from my frontosa tank into this tank about 3 weeks ago because I was getting tired of cleaning the algae off the 3dbg, it's amazing how good BNP's work. He got the Bg cleaned up with in a week.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Nice size on those there dolphins.

I liked BNP as much as the next guy but was never into them. Until, I added a single male to my 75gal krib stream tank. Then I started loving them. They are an underrated winner.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store