240g Acrylic tank build thread (PIC HEAVY)

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Thanks. I just used some half round wood and stained it to match the stand. Helps to give it a little more of a furniture look to it I think.

btw- did my first cleaning of it yesterday. You know you have a tall tank when it takes a step ladder and removing your shirt to reach all the way down to the bottom of the front panel. And I'm tall too 6'5". I did find something neat for cleaning acrylic though, not sure if anyone else has thought of this but I bought a pair of microfiber gloves at my local microcenter store for $7 last week. Works great for cleaning the inside front panel of acrylic without scratching it.

Reactions: Nicholas Marquez

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Time for an update as to how the tank has been doing since finishing it. Been doing some work on the big tank tonight. Added some manzanita style branches which I took from a different tank I recently took down. Cut the ends flat and mounted them to the underside of the acrylic top so that they hang down into the tank to look like roots hanging down. Been up and running for about 2 months now and I added the 2nd fx5 filter about a month ago which has fully seeded now so even after almost 2 weeks nitrates barely even read 20ppm. By far my most enjoyable tank I have built. I enjoy my morning coffee in front of it just about every day.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Been doing some work & few changes in the basement office/shop the past couple days. My 75g bleekeri/spotted silver dollar tank was just so hard to enjoy those fish since it was ground level under the 125g frontosa tank. So decided to move it. The trophs got a bit too aggressive and decided to get rid of them so they are gone and the 55g tank they were in is gonna be sold. So now have my 75g bleekeri/silver dollars moved over next to the big 240g tank.

Moved the black stand which was part of the desk and then rebuilt a framework for the L shaped desk where the black stand use to be. Added some stained wood panels to the black stand as well as built a low profile canopy and a few other pieces so it matches the stand I made for the big tank. Then redid the stand under the 125g tank so it now as a 29g quarantine tank so I can still get some use from that area under there. As usual it's an ever evolving world in Steve-topia ;)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Love the 75 as well. Nice work! Those setups look stellar. I miss my backgrounds. Those were the days

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Just made it through this thread and wow! I'm sorry and apologize for being late to the party, but I'm glad I finally made it! S Steve_C great working and thank you for taking the time to go into so much detail. Great looking setups.

Keep up the good work

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Scored a really good deal on a couple new haps for the 240g show tank today. Both males and both about 4.5" or there abouts. One is a Pheo that is just starting to get some flecks in him, and the other I "think" is a Steveni / Taiwanee reef. Both are in QT for the next 3 weeks till I clear them to go into the main show tank.

Have a short vid but never done a vid here before, let me see if this works

Reactions: Dieselhybrid

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan

The 240g is starting to look really good. Just added some fish I have had in quarantine for the past 3 weeks to it this afternoon. Added the Phenochilus, Taiwan Reef, and Venustus. Only about 10 days till the club auction so hope to find a Livinstonii and maybe something else that follows me home from there ;)

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Well now I'm tossing this out / for advice. I just made a deal tonight with a fellow club member for some tanks. Looks like I am getting a pair of 120g 4'x2'x2' tanks (on a double stand) soooo I have no idea what to do with them, or what to stock in them? But for the price I could not pass them up. Any ideas/suggestions? I'm sure I can work them into the mancave....but what to stock in them??

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
As of today there's some new fish for the 240 now in quarantine till they are deemed ready for the big tank. Ya got to love fish auctions. Hit one of the local ones today and the club that was putting it on was mostly a lice bearer (guppy/swordtails/etc etc ) club so there were not many cichilds there, but on the up side, since they were mostly live bearer guys I was pretty much the only one to bid on some of the cichlids.

So ended up getting a really nice male 6" Moorii (blue dolphin) for a mere $5. And I'm not a big OB peacock guy, but how could I pass up four OB peacocks in the 4"-5" range for only $2 for all four? :)

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
BTW I think I have figured out what I plan to do with the stock in that pair of 120g 4x2x2 tanks I mentioned the other day that I am picking up next month. I think one will be the new home for the oscar/bleekeri/spotted silver dollars so they can get out of the 75g. Then the other I am thinking maybe a group of electric blue jack dempsey and some severums. I plan to move the 75g and then build a 8ft long stand so that both those 120g's will butt up end to end, then have them so they form an L shape including the 240g tank. Once I get those tanks and start that project I'll start a new thread on that.

Reactions: SBM
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store