240g Acrylic tank build thread (PIC HEAVY)

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
Had a stroke of genius tonight :) spent a bit of time trying to figure out how to best hide the 300w Jaguar heaters and was getting frustrated that I was not going to be able to hide them very well because of the length when I sat down at it hit me. The Stalagmite makes the perfect place to mount it to the backside of so it will be completely out of view, plus being right in front of the intake and return it will distribute the heat more evenly.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Well I said it was gonna be a couple weeks till I was back at it but I just can't stay away from it. Trying to work a few minutes here & there on it between "real work" stuff. Managed to get the 2nd of the two 300w heaters ready today. Mounted it rigidly to the backside of a half round piece of sinking wood so it is hidden completely from view. Also bought some cheap impact resistant lexan and made some nice tight fitting covers for the top so I wouldn't have to deal with evaporation.

Reactions: cockroach

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
I still have to do all the finish work on the stand and build the canopy yet, plus finish the 20g x-tall tank with the sandfall that goes in the center of the stand under this tank. So still lots to be done, but as of last night it's filled, up to temp, and fish are in and happy. Water still has to clear up a bit more, but this morning I was able to sit and have my morning coffee enjoying the fruits of over 100 plus hours of work :)

Short video of the tank running with fish in it now...

robham777

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2013
Mobile
That looks amazing! The rock work looks so real, very impressive. Nice stock as well.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
Thanks robham. They sure are a lot happier now that they are out of the 75g and have room to swim. I just added a few more fish about an hour ago to the stock. Built a couple small 3d BG's for a fellow club member and he traded me some fish for them. Got a nice 6" Fryeri and a nice trio of 5-6" Williamsi North blue lips. I'll have to try to snap a few pics later of the new additions.

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan

Decided on maple for the stand facing. I've done oak before on others and I wanted one this time that was more of an open grain to give it more of a furniture grade look to it. Stained with with special walnut stain and now have 2 coats of poly applied. Originally I planned to do a sand waterfall in the 20g tall tank in the center of the stand, but now I am kind of thinking of changing that and covering the whole front with this one piece since it looks so good and then add the doors on the ends of the stand for filter access. Might do some accents or something else on the front, not sure we'll see as I get more into it.

Reactions: jsc

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan

Almost 4 months of work finally comes to an end tonight. Just finished doing all the finish work on the stand and canopy and am now I'm finally done with the 240g tank build. Was a long and tiring project with well over 200+hrs into building the background/stand/canopy and all the other little details but now I can finally sit down in front of it with a cup of coffee and enjoy my fish :)

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington

Almost 4 months of work finally comes to an end tonight. Just finished doing all the finish work on the stand and canopy and am now I'm finally done with the 240g tank build. Was a long and tiring project with well over 200+hrs into building the background/stand/canopy and all the other little details but now I can finally sit down in front of it with a cup of coffee and enjoy my fish :)
I thoroughly enjoyed this build, Steve. Great work man. The tank is incredibly nice and your background work looks professional.

Reactions: Steve_C

jsc

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2005
Bethlehem, PA
The finished product looks amazing! Every hour spent was well worth it. Congrats!

Reactions: Steve_C

Freshwater4Life

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2015
VB
Amazing detail work. Really like the trim peice that comes down the 2 front seems from the top to the bottom canopy. Took me a second to catch that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store