2500+ gal concrete tank HELP

PAULGrebol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2017
Arizona
I am a building contractor and am about to build my own home(again) and want to do something different in the living room. My idea is to pour 8" thick re-bar reinforced walls 8' tall x 3' deep and 14' wide for a fish tank. I have access for 6' x 10' 2" thick acrylic for a viewing window in the front(sideways) if i have a 3" recessed key-way for it that should give a view-able area of 9'6" x 5'6". I have built my own concrete poured swimming pool and hot tub before so the concrete and plumbing does not scare me. The hot tub was out of the ground which gave me the idea. Also am putting a 10' x 3' acrylic viewing window in the pool but that another story. I am a beginner to this. Thinking out of the box, why could I not use a sand filter from a pool for filtration and a pump. Thinking of going fresh water for ease. What do I need to accommodate for or think about?

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
Sand filtration is used by a lot of big tank keepers, it's essentially fluidized bed.

Another option would be multiple 50 gallon barrels with k1 media.
Look up king of diy on youtube, joey has done many guides on this method.
He most recent 2000 gallon concrete tank uses a combination of a sand filter as well as a raised fluidized bed k1 filter.

But with both you need a mechanical prefilter, such as filter socks or filter floss etc.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Welcome to MFK!
Checking into filtration there are sand filters designed for aquarium and ponds use vs pool.
The pumps for aquarium systems are designed to be more efficient as compared to pool equipment.
So that may be something else to consider.
Once you go monster the power bills can add up.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
We used to run our fish racks at the store on pool filters. They had 40 x 20 gallons tank and 8 x 30 gallon tanks per filter system.

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
The edges will be supported by concrete so that will keep the edges from bowing out.
No what he is saying is that 2 is NuTS you could get away with under 1" on a 36 inch tank... at 2" it's insane, maybe a 6 foot high or greater tank with that thickness...

PAULGrebol

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2017
Arizona
No what he is saying is that 2 is NuTS you could get away with under 1" on a 36 inch tank... at 2" it's insane, maybe a 6 foot high or greater tank with that thickness...
Do you think I can put it vertical and have 9' 6" tall by 5'6" wide. that would be awesome I will have 14' tall ceilings so it would be more proportional.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store