265 gallon journal

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I’m not sure as I didn’t talk numbers, just the general stuff. I personally would have went with fancy goldfish as they get smaller, you can have more, and I figure the bioload would be around the same in my uneducated opinion.
I’m sure that if the koi out grow the tank Neptune’s reef will sell them to someone else, probably with a pond, and restock the tank with smaller koi. Not a bad business strategy to be honest.
That would be my concern is the size koi can get in a tank only 2’ wide, but if they have plans to maybe swap them out as you say, that would be a pretty good way to keep the fish happy, customers happy and the business happy all at the same time...

Oh and congrats with finally losing your probation member status..

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
That would be my concern is the size koi can get in a tank only 2’ wide, but if they have plans to maybe swap them out as you say, that would be a pretty good way to keep the fish happy, customers happy and the business happy all at the same time...

Oh and congrats with finally losing your probation member status..
If there are no plans on swapping them out or anything then I’ll see if I can convince them to go with goldfish instead.

Reactions: Fat Homer

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
If there are no plans on swapping them out or anything then I’ll see if I can convince them to go with goldfish instead.

Koi do seem like an unusual choice, once they get big they can be messy. If you are doing the maintenance I guess you will be a regular visitor to the school.
I was thinking a tropical community because the variety of fish would be a good way to show the kids biology/evolution in action. With cories and sucking cats on the bottom and hatchets on top, somE live bearers and peaceful cichlids and they get a good overview of how fish adapt to their environment. A bit of breeding and some territory disputes and they get the whole picture.

I guess they are only 4th graders and possibly I am fantasising about what I would do if I had a tank that big.........

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I don’t blame you, I’ve been thinking about all the catfish I would put in that tank.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Koi is an odd choice. Fancy goldfish or even common goldfish would be a better choice imo. Big bio load, but stay a lot smaller then koi.

I would think it would be even better to go with fish that would spawn in the tank. That would open the door to even more teaching opportunities.

All that aside, it is awesome that they committed to a large tank for the kids to be hands on with. Very cool

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
The koi would cost less since they would have to get less fish and I believe fancy goldfish typically cost more than a koi. I remember paying about $5 each for my 3 black moors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store