29 gallon tank has ich, how to treat it

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Like said above, meds aren't necessary, nor is aquarium salt. The main thing is to increase water temps to the highest your stock will tolerate, increase the aeration and do lots of big water changes that include vacuuming the substrate. Feed lightly during this time. It may take 2 weeks or longer, but should wipe out the parasite.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Like said above, meds aren't necessary, nor is aquarium salt. The main thing is to increase water temps to the highest your stock will tolerate, increase the aeration and do lots of big water changes that include vacuuming the substrate. Feed lightly during this time. It may take 2 weeks or longer, but should wipe out the parasite.
I can't vacuum the substrate, it's for planted tanks, I'm just going to medicate with ichx

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
If you are going to dose you should have it in the tank now.
You can only kill the ich once it is free swimming.
So the treatment needs to be present when that happens.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
did a 15 gallon water change, all fish are still alive, I'm getting the ICHX now, should I dose immediately or wait for the ich to drop off?
Immediately. Like BIG-G BIG-G said.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Thats a copper based med. Nasty stuff. Who recommended that? Not good if you have inverts or ever plan to. That substrate and tank/equipment can no longer harbor inverts. Have and would have stuck with ichx.
ah crap, it was some guy at the lfs, he said that ichx has formaldehyde and methanol (antifreeze basically) stuff and that cupramine is way safer. One of my kuhli loaches died this morning, I don't plan to get inverts though. I already started using it so it's too late to return it, I was told ichx is more for large cichlids and stuff.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store