3 AC110s for a 125 gal?

Addicted to Cichlids

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2016
Ac's are great filters i think you'll be fine with 3. Like tlindsey suggest just test your water as the fish grow. If you want to add to the bio and increase mechanical filtration order some 30ppi poret foam from swiss tropical and cut it to fit. Its much better than the foam blocks that come with the filters.

I hated my fx6 too btw
Yeah i was about ready to just buy 2 Ac110's and not try to fix the damn thing. Its louder than an ac110, totally over designed, which gives it many more points of failure/leaking, the lid fasteners are terrible as are the hose clamps.

Sorry for the rant lol.

I'll give it one more shot before scoring some Ac110.

I'm also trying to get some live plants going but the pleco eats everything other than amazon swords lol.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Whats the cost of an AC110? Put your money on a eheim 2260 instead. They ara versatile and workhorses. Simple design on them. I have 2 ATM and going to buy more soon.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Casue it wont run a full flow, and might leak later, for a $350 filter i was expecting more than a year of run before i had to replace parts. The Cannister is also a massive pain in the ass to maintenance.
Haha...fair enough.I have two FX5's that recently conked out on me and I have had enough with fiddling around and trying to get them to work properly so I probably won't be bothering with the line anymore either.
Whats the cost of an AC110? Put your money on a eheim 2260 instead. They ara versatile and workhorses. Simple design on them. I have 2 ATM and going to buy more soon.
Well,best price I have seen for a brand new 110 is about eighty dollars while the 2260's cost more than a FX filter.

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
I'v been running once Fx6 for about a year, but the ****er is leaking from the output valves, I recently got one Ac110 and am loving it, could three work?

The tank has 2 juvenile Festae 7 silver dollars, and a pleco

Thanks guys!
Weird, I have 3 fx6 and no issues at all. Awesome filters imho. I am a big fan of ac110 as well. There is a reason why they are the standard all hobs are compared to

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I believe HOB filters like AC 110s, are great filtration, I had tanks I would line the back with, 4 or even 5, if they fit along the back of a tank.
I also believe canisters are the least effective filters.
Why????? not because they don't suck up gunk, but because they are seldom cleaned, and if a filter isn't cleaned, anything it took out of the tank into the filter, is basically still in the tank, just out of sight, and producing nitrate, and nasty invisible by-products.
Just because water is clear, doesn't mean its good.
HOBs force you to clean them, because its obvious when they bypass, and are a breeze to clean, take less than 5 minutes to rinse out, and can often be left running while you remove gunk from the media.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Both of my 125's, are ran off of 3 AC 500's. (110's) AC sponge at bottom to collect the big chunks, then topped off with some blue/white media to collect the finer stuff, topped off with a bag of bio-media. (bio-max rings, Seachem matrix mix)

Which reminded of a post I made here a while back......

Correct, which got me to thinking of a fish shop located south of me that an Indonesian couple run. I used to supply them with dry goods years ago and one night I was there after hours watching one of their workers clean their filters on their 325 gallon display tank. This was a tank that varied with stock over the many years that I have frequented this store, but it was always a heavy bio-load of adult fish. Lots of large colorful fish to wow the customers. It was one of those "not for sale" tanks, that everyone of course wanted to purchase from.

This tank was filtered by 3 AC 500"s (old school 110's), each filter contained two large AC sponges, and was topped with floss. No speciality "bio-media" at all, just sponges, and floss. Each week they did a 40-50% water change, and cleaned the filters when the output slowed down. I don't recall if filter cleaning was performed weekly, bi-weekly, or what? The cleaning invovled rinsing the sponges in tank water, and the floss got tossed at each cleaning, with fresh floss going back in at the top.

That display tank ran that way for decades, and I believe is still running with the same filtration today. Just goes to show how much bio-bacteria can actually colonize an AC sponge, and how efficiently sponges alone can be in supporting a large bio-load of fish.

Reactions: Coryloach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store