300 Gallon Pond Stocking

jlscientist

Feeder Fish
Aug 22, 2018
Hi Everyone, I'm planning to build a pond that has the dimensions of, 6 feet x 3 feet x 2 feet. It is 300 gallons.

I would like to put 2 oscar fish.
I want some other large predator fish, what do you guys reccomend? Please give me a whole stocking, ie (2 oscars, 1 clown knife, ) etc.

I want to stay away from arowana, clown knife, bass.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
Catfish, silver dollars, tin foil barbs, bala sharks, bichirs, mini marbles, more american cichlids. You've got a few options with that tank. Depends on what you like.

Reactions: Dr. Deep

Bertie07

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2017
London
How about some datnoids, may take a long time to grow out or lots of oscars with some catfish like bolt catfish

davemal

Piranha
MFK Member
May 15, 2007
Neath
Its only 6x3x2 the Oscars will pretty much fill it, I would put a few fish in with them, but ones they will tolerate.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
You are smart to stay away from aro, bass, etc, as they would outgrow the pond. I would put a chocolate cichlid and a severum with the Oscars. Maybe a hoplarchus psittacus as well.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
I would pick "chunky" fish. Oscars are a good choice, because they are fat enough to be seen from above, but some fish, like silver dollars, are too thin, and would just look like grey lines. Mbuna look good in ponds, and the larger, gentler ones should be OK with oscars. Chalceaus are chunky too, and like to stay near the top, where they would be easy to see. If there isn't too much decor, one of the bigger, more brightly colored plecos would be nice. Ctenapoma might be nice, but they grow slow and have somewhat drab colors. Polyepterus look really cool from above, kind of like sharks IME, and some have real nice patterns that would be nice.

Reactions: davemal

jlscientist

Feeder Fish
Aug 22, 2018
You are smart to stay away from aro, bass, etc, as they would outgrow the pond. I would put a chocolate cichlid and a severum with the Oscars. Maybe a hoplarchus psittacus as well.
Hi, i was thinking about a seveerum but do they hvae big mouths?i wanted oscar because if i throw pellets in they eat them quick and easy with their big mouths, i saw a severium and it looked like small mouth.
Do severums grow fast?
Thanks

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hi, i was thinking about a seveerum but do they hvae big mouths?i wanted oscar because if i throw pellets in they eat them quick and easy with their big mouths, i saw a severium and it looked like small mouth.
Do severums grow fast?
Thanks
definitely not as big as an Oscar's mouth. THey grow pretty quickly, probably not quite as quick as an Oscar though. If your goal is grow fast + big mouth, I would just get 4 or 5 Oscars and call it a day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store