300 gallon setup/sump build

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
sounds like a party to me
Breaking bread with an eagles fan. Mhhhh 2017 is shaping up to be a strange yr lol joking Woefulrelic Woefulrelic

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I think you guys might be confusing gate and ball valves. If you look at a gate valve, the opening inside it is actually bigger than the inside diameter of its nominal pipe size. However, if you look at a ball valve, especially pvc ball valves, they actually reduce the size of the internal dimension down a bit smaller than the inside diameter of the pipe, which creates a "choke point" in the line. In order to make up for this size difference, you can upsize the ball valve to the next size up and that will give you a bigger opening through the ball valve, which will reduce or eliminate the "choke point."
I dont know if it was this thread or another one where we were talking about gates vs ball valves on sophon drains with jvc66 jvc66 and i think ot wpuld be very difficult to dial a ball valve in when using overflows. If memory serves me correct your h20 overflows sits in the tank right ? I would think smaller adjustments are going to impact the water level in an overflow much more than in the display tank and can now see that a ball valve would be a p.i.t.a on my set up

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Breaking bread with an eagles fan. Mhhhh 2017 is shaping up to be a strange yr lol joking Woefulrelic Woefulrelic
It's okay, I'm too embarrassed to admit I'm an eagles fan in public recently

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Regarding gate valves:
added some more sand, a few small rocks and some more fake plants.
View attachment 1234648
Im happy i didnt go full loc lines as this was the fish i was most worried about.

View attachment 1234646 View attachment 1234647

At some point i'm gonna mess with the stand pipes just to see how close i can get the water level to match in both overflows but so far its not a major concern. The right is about an inch lower than the left.
View attachment 1234649 View attachment 1234651

At some point were were discussing the options if dialing in the system with one gate vs two. I know this set up is in its infancy but at this point im having no issues with the 1 gate i havent touched it since redoing sone of the plumbing so about 3 days now.

1 thing i would have done differently was the suze of the gate valve. I easily could have went with a 1.5 inch and t would have handled both siphons with no problem. The two inch valve is barely opened. I mean barley like probably less than two full turns something could easily clog it. Luckily i have no live plants and the stand pipes have strainers but if it did the unions are going to be a life saver. jvc66 jvc66 this is something to consider with your upcoming build.
You had raised this on earlier pages and had asked about this. I had some thoughts and questiond on #273.

I wonder if one siphon is taking on more due to being lower. Are your standby drains same height?

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Regarding gate valves:

You had raised this on earlier pages and had asked about this. I had some thoughts and questiond on #273.

I wonder if one siphon is taking on more due to being lower. Are your standby drains same height?
Im pretty sure they are but could be seating the bulkheads slightly off. Was soeaking to ragin about this off line and it could be multiple things. The teeth the weir could be slightly off too. Im foing to try different heights on the right side (lower water level) and see what i come up with. Ragin thought possibly lowering the right stand pipe would create more pressure on that drain and cause more water to flow.

Would be interesring if someone that had dual drains and seperate gates could chime in

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Ill just put the tank and stand on dollys and push it down the aisle. Im sure they would be ok with that lol
I think you are on to something. You may even be compensated as part of a HD commercial I think. Although i dont think they have commercials lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store