300 gallon setup/sump build

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Looking good man! Are you running any kind of UV? And just curious why you picked water lettuce instead of pothos?
Thanks man. No uv
I had pothos in the past and never saw much from it. To be fair i didnt give it enough time. Chose the water lettuce based off of old mfk threads regarding floating plants and nitrate absorbtion but we'll see may give the pothos another whirl

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
added some more sand, a few small rocks and some more fake plants.
View attachment 1234648
Im happy i didnt go full loc lines as this was the fish i was most worried about.

View attachment 1234646 View attachment 1234647

At some point i'm gonna mess with the stand pipes just to see how close i can get the water level to match in both overflows but so far its not a major concern. The right is about an inch lower than the left.
View attachment 1234649 View attachment 1234651

At some point were were discussing the options if dialing in the system with one gate vs two. I know this set up is in its infancy but at this point im having no issues with the 1 gate i havent touched it since redoing sone of the plumbing so about 3 days now.

1 thing i would have done differently was the suze of the gate valve. I easily could have went with a 1.5 inch and t would have handled both siphons with no problem. The two inch valve is barely opened. I mean barley like probably less than two full turns something could easily clog it. Luckily i have no live plants and the stand pipes have strainers but if it did the unions are going to be a life saver. jvc66 jvc66 this is something to consider with your upcoming build.
You could have used a 1.5 inch gate on a 1.5 inch siphon drain? I though it always had to be a size up or am I mistaken

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
You could have used a 1.5 inch gate on a 1.5 inch siphon drain? I though it always had to be a size up or am I mistaken
I just assumed it was to be sized up being that their arent many threads abailable with dual herbies. ragin_cajun ragin_cajun will probably better explain.
But yeah i feel like i could have tee'd both 1.5 inch siphons to a 1.5 inch gate instead of the 2 inch gate. I could actually still do it since the unions are in place but...yeah no way lol.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
I just assumed it was to be sized up being that their arent many threads abailable with dual herbies. ragin_cajun ragin_cajun will probably better explain.
But yeah i feel like i could have tee'd both 1.5 inch siphons to a 1.5 inch gate instead of the 2 inch gate. I could actually still do it since the unions are in place but...yeah no way lol.
I think you guys might be confusing gate and ball valves. If you look at a gate valve, the opening inside it is actually bigger than the inside diameter of its nominal pipe size. However, if you look at a ball valve, especially pvc ball valves, they actually reduce the size of the internal dimension down a bit smaller than the inside diameter of the pipe, which creates a "choke point" in the line. In order to make up for this size difference, you can upsize the ball valve to the next size up and that will give you a bigger opening through the ball valve, which will reduce or eliminate the "choke point."

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
It is only necessary to increase the size if you need maximum performance out of your line. Otherwise, the regular sized valves will probably be just fine. I used regular 1.5" ball valves on three all of my 1.5" drains. Two of them are around half closed for my herbie setup and the other is wide open for my emergency drain. If I ever get around to it, I might look at swapping out the valve for my emergency drain with a 2" valve, but it's probably unnecessary.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I think you guys might be confusing gate and ball valves. If you look at a gate valve, the opening inside it is actually bigger than the inside diameter of its nominal pipe size. However, if you look at a ball valve, especially pvc ball valves, they actually reduce the size of the internal dimension down a bit smaller than the inside diameter of the pipe, which creates a "choke point" in the line. In order to make up for this size difference, you can upsize the ball valve to the next size up and that will give you a bigger opening through the ball valve, which will reduce or eliminate the "choke point."
Not confusing it at all. What im saying is since the 2 inch gate is opened just a tad that it wasnt needed and the 1.5 inch gate may have been fine for the two 1.5 inch drains. Nothing to do with the diameter or ID of the gates but how much its actually opened.

It is only necessary to increase the size if you need maximum performance out of your line. Otherwise, the regular sized valves will probably be just fine. I used regular 1.5" ball valves on three all of my 1.5" drains. Two of them are around half closed for my herbie setup and the other is wide open for my emergency drain. If I ever get around to it, I might look at swapping out the valve for my emergency drain with a 2" valve, but it's probably unnecessary.
i dont think changing to a larger ball valve would do anything since the plumbing is 1.5 anyway

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Being a fold out chair lol
Butbyeah you are and thats cool though. Bring one of the pumps or whatever gadgets your gping to put in the sump that way you can play around and fiddle with stuff
looks like im gunna be in home depot for a while playing in the plumbing department lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store