300 gallon setup/sump build

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Nice vid, I like the sand color, looks different.

What is the round circle acrylic on the top of the tank?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Midwest has options to cut feed holes in to your lids so you dont have to pick the entire lid off
Ah, makes sense. Yes, that would be a pain. I had some two inch holes on my glass lids for that same reason - cannot imgagine lifting the lids to feed.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Ah, makes sense. Yes, that would be a pain. I had some two inch holes on my glass lids for that same reason - cannot imgagine lifting the lids to feed.
I hear ya. I had no idea they were that heavy

Def Leppard Hysteria

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2005
Omaha, NE
Thx man. Where did you get the polycarbonate from HD/lowes ? Does it warp ?
Looks like you've got the sump lids covered. But, for anybody else wondering. No, I bought them at Menard's. They were the only one locally who had them in stock in the 4' x 8' sheets that I needed. I have read of Home Depot having them in stock in certain areas of the country. The twin wall sheets are very sturdy. They will span most regular sized aquariums with no sag whatsoever. Even before I made my pvc frame for my 600 gallon tank, I set the polycarbonate sheet up across the top. Very little sag, even for that distance. Not sure what thickness I went with, I think it was 6mm. They offer it in 6, 8, & 10mm with all sorts of different lengths and widths.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
Took a couple of vids. Have a couple of small things to do still.
I had to turn the pump to feed mode on the 150 to show how quiet the herbies are. For some reason its much louder on the vid than in real life. When standing near the tank all i hear is the slight trickle from overflows and the hum of the pumps. The polys are still really washed out but slowly gaining their patterns/color back.

Very nice! It does sound like your camera mic is very sensitive. Your DCT pumps are bigger than my DCP pumps, but I do think after seeing this video, the DCP pumps are noticeably quieter, but not any great magnitude. Basically, I can't even hear mine running unless I open the stand and stick my head in over top of them. However, I don't think it would make much of a difference in these setups.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Looks like you've got the sump lids covered. But, for anybody else wondering. No, I bought them at Menard's. They were the only one locally who had them in stock in the 4' x 8' sheets that I needed. I have read of Home Depot having them in stock in certain areas of the country. The twin wall sheets are very sturdy. They will span most regular sized aquariums with no sag whatsoever. Even before I made my pvc frame for my 600 gallon tank, I set the polycarbonate sheet up across the top. Very little sag, even for that distance. Not sure what thickness I went with, I think it was 6mm. They offer it in 6, 8, & 10mm with all sorts of different lengths and widths.
Was able to find this at HD for the 30 gal sump. I think it will work. It was the thickest they had. Thx for the suggesrion

20170223_074907.jpg

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
added some more sand, a few small rocks and some more fake plants.
20170223_095846.jpg
Im happy i didnt go full loc lines as this was the fish i was most worried about.

20170223_091844.jpg 20170223_091823.jpg

At some point i'm gonna mess with the stand pipes just to see how close i can get the water level to match in both overflows but so far its not a major concern. The right is about an inch lower than the left.
20170223_101020.jpg 20170223_100755.jpg

At some point were were discussing the options if dialing in the system with one gate vs two. I know this set up is in its infancy but at this point im having no issues with the 1 gate i havent touched it since redoing sone of the plumbing so about 3 days now.

1 thing i would have done differently was the suze of the gate valve. I easily could have went with a 1.5 inch and t would have handled both siphons with no problem. The two inch valve is barely opened. I mean barley like probably less than two full turns something could easily clog it. Luckily i have no live plants and the stand pipes have strainers but if it did the unions are going to be a life saver. jvc66 jvc66 this is something to consider with your upcoming build.

Reactions: pacu mom

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Looking good man! Are you running any kind of UV? And just curious why you picked water lettuce instead of pothos?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store