350 Gallon Tank and Filtration

Dave62

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Pacific Northwest
I’ve heard of some people building their sump from glass aquariums vs. acrylic. Usually because they are cheaper and customizable. I suppose it could also help in the event of a freak heater accident.

Nm1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2019
If I was wasnt heavily stocked I would do 2 fx6 and 2 ac110. Run your chemical in your ac110 and stuff the fx’s with bio.

RemainVayne

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2017
IMO wayyy more dangerous In sump

if the heatered failed in tank ya fish die or maybe cracks tanks but that’s doubtful to break glass
But in my case the failed heater in sump almost killed me
Burned the acrylic and burned the wood on the stand I woke up in a smoke filled room
It was a horrible plastic smell. I thank my cat to waking me honestly
don’t think that would of happened had heater failed in the Tank
fish can me replaced I cannot be
This is a big reason why I won’t keep a heater in a sump
Great reason why you should use a temperature controller

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Canisters are hard to clean? I just take mine to the sink, flip two switches and its detached from the tank, dont think many sump users are doing that.

BUT, water volume and a cleaned up display area...:headbang2

Reactions: Jacob92677

Dave62

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2018
Pacific Northwest
BUT, water volume and a cleaned up display area...:headbang2
Takes me 30 seconds max to change out a sock filter. But I get your point, lugging multiple filters through your house (making a mess in the process) let's you see all the hoses, heaters and filters in your display tank. Sweet!

Reactions: twentyleagues

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
150 gallon FW tank, use a canister. but....when you start filtering tanks larger than 180 gallons, sumps are just cheaper.

As for reliability, I don't think hose connectors on canister filters are more reliable than hard PVC pipe.

Heaters failures are dangerous, so use a temp controller.

And sumps are not noisy if you take the time to implement them correctly. Which you should because you're dealing with A LOT of water.

And if you want to run a reef tank, you have to run a sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store