3m 5200, who is using it?

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
When browsing for some alternatives, I found something called Eco-Bond Flashing Roof Gutter. Link:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eco-Bond...4-Pack-FRG100-4-pk/204638178?N=5yc1vZc5bpZ7gb

Also ECO-Bond Pet Safe:http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eco-Bond-10-1-oz-Pet-Safe-Adhesive-Sealant-4-Pack-PS100-4-pk/204638180
Safe for furry, feathered or finned members of the family. Approved for indoor and outdoor use. Can safely be used around pets and pet areas. Pet Safe has no toxic odor, is paintable, waterproof, mold and mildew resistant and does not require ventilation. Pet Safe’s unique formulation will bond underwater making it a perfect choice for aquarium, fish tanks and outdoor water features. With a service temperature of -90 - +425, Pet Safe can be applied and used in all weather conditions.
Applications include dog and bird house construction and maintenance, sealing, repair and maintenance in and around pet areas, aquarium sealing
Bonds and seals to glass, metal, aluminum, wood, copper, drywall, plastics and most other building surfaces
Rain and weather ready in 30 minutes
Non-toxic and no toxic odor
Does not off-gas VOC's during the curing process
Safe for use around children and pets, contains no PCBs and is Prop 65 compliant

$22.96 for 4 pack ($5.74 each) if ordered online from Home Depot.
Non-Toxic / 100% Solids

http://ecobondadhesives.com/ecobond-products/

FLASHING-ROOF-GUTTER – Helps put a roof over your head
Designed for installation, maintenance of flashing, roofs, and gutters. APPLICATIONS: sealing, waterproofing, weatherproofing, adhesion, caulking . BONDS AND SEALS TO: metal, plywood, fiber cement board, copper, fiberglass, asphalt, wood, slate, brick, cast iron, galvanized and painted steel, PVC and most other building surfaces. SPECIFICATIONS: sun, freeze, and frost proof, application temps of -35° to +140°, UV resistant, no toxic odor, paintable, waterproof, mold and mildew resistant, approved for indoor and outdoor use, bonds underwater, children and pet safe, tensile strength 200 psi

At their website ECO-Bond Pet Safe: http://www.ecobondadhesives.com/store/index.php/pet-safe.html

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Only real difference I'm seeing between the ECO-Bond Flashing Roof Gutter and Eco-Bond Pet Safe is the color.
The Flashing Roof Gutter stuff is Black, while the Pet Safe is White. I'm contacting them for verification.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I am wondering how those two stick to liquid rubber as this is what I am thinking I am going to do with a Glass viewing panel. They recommend a Butyl sealeant, but A member on her had success with 5200. I thought the PL was a butyl product?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
I am wondering how those two stick to liquid rubber as this is what I am thinking I am going to do with a Glass viewing panel. They recommend a Butyl sealeant, but A member on her had success with 5200. I thought the PL was a butyl product?
Look into the build from our member "tobeinchrist" spelling? Lol...he used ames blue max (liquid rubber) and a glass window i believe. Hes about the only person i know of to use ames blue max. Couple zavlar brand liquid rubber tanks on here that used reg silicone for the window.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
I just ordered a 4 pack of Eco-Bond Flashing Roof Gutter from Home Depot. Should have it in about 10 days. If this stuff is as advertised, it might be the best option out there for plywood builds. It claims to be completely non-toxic and that it will cure underwater. I might just put that to the test. Once I adhere/seal the glass windows, maybe I won't wait for it to fully cure. I'll wait a few hours, then fill the tank with water and add some fish. I'll probably need to stock up on aged water though, since fish don't do well with water straight from the tap. Need to avoid chlorine/chloramine/ammonia toxicity and osmotic shock.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I just made a mock up of liquid rubber and used 3m 5200 to adhere a piece of glass and a piece of Acrylic to the liquid rubber. Also I used Tremco Butyl Caulk to adhere the same type of materials on the liquid rubber. I will post a video soon, didnt realize the 5200 takes really long to even dry to the touch. will leave it for 2 weeks as it recommends 7 days. I will then submerge the mock up and try to tear the materials off the Liquid rubber.

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Well 5200 seems to live up to its name!!!! I let it cure for two weeks and I can not pry off the glass off the liquid rubber with out breaking the glass and I can not pry off the Acrylic off the liquid rubber!!!!

Very very strong bond!

I will now submerge it for a couple weeks and try to pry again

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
For those would said 5200 does not stick to liquid rubber it does very very well!!!!

IMO this changes a lot in the DIY tank game.

I have now consider building my 400g with Liquid rubber and 3m 5200 for the window. It is as fish SAFE as silicone is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store