Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

4,000g+ pond in Atlanta. What else can I put it in there?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Ponds' started by triathloncoach, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Chub_by

Chub_by MFK Members

Widely known as chubs
      Jun 7, 2017
      It's gonna take years or a decade for a bullhead to get that big, also they are extremely lazy and will focus on eating fish food.

2. xraycer

xraycer MFK Members

Dinh
      Tuesday at 7:43 PM
      Slim chance it'll get anywhere near half that size in captivity

3. predatorkeeper87

predatorkeeper87 MFK Members

Josh
      Jun 21, 2017

That picture is teetering dangerously close on an odd-colored channel cat vs. a yellowbullhead. I can't see the whiskers in the front to be able to tell but the headshape alone looks like an adult channel vs. a bullhead.

Actually 100% scratch that, it is a channel catfish so wrong on the species there. I have bullhead cats too and they aren't going to attack a full grown bullfrog I promise you that. Not unless they are well over 6 pounds which almost never happens being that that is the world record currently.

#13 predatorkeeper87, Apr 20, 2017
      Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
      Chub_by and xraycer like this.
    4. FriedFlowerHornFillet

FriedFlowerHornFillet MFK Members

Jul 18, 2017
      The point being they won't become full sized frogs in a smaller pond with catfish. Obviously the catfish will have an easier meal with the eggs and tadpoles. But they will take on just about anything that gets near them and they're pigs. I get paid to take out bullheads sometimes. They're kind of a pest for some. We sein and dredge as best as we can but it's never 100% When you drain a pond they can burrow in the mud and wait it out for quite a while then when the water and new stock is added later they eat the eggs and the babies. Some of the ponds in our area are too close to creeks as well so when they flood over sometimes bullheads will visit their stocked all you can eat buffet- and I get a call.

5. xraycer

xraycer MFK Members

Dinh
      I'll have to disagree with this generalization. I've had mine for nearly 3 years and it is not aggressive with tankmates nor piggish during feeding time. A friend of mine had a brown one and it had the same temperament as mine.

predatorkeeper87 likes this.
    6. predatorkeeper87

predatorkeeper87 MFK Members

Josh
      Jun 21, 2017
      That's fine and I agree they would eat the tadpoles and eggs without question, but bullheads are NOT the hyper aggressive stereotype that some cats get. They are catfish nonetheless so yes frog breeding would cease in that pond. EDIT I have two yellow bulls, 1 I caught full grown, the other I raised from a fry and neither of them eat any tank mates or even harass anything smaller than them.

But if OP decides he'd like to try a bullhead you can't misrepresent the species with a picture of a cat that gets triple the size and weight of a bullhead.

7. Chub_by

Chub_by MFK Members

Widely known as chubs
      Jun 7, 2017
      Not to mention Koi will eat tadpoles, too.

8. xraycer

xraycer MFK Members

Dinh
      Its for this reason that each frog lays hundreds of eggs at a time........hoping that a tiny fraction will survive to adulthood

9. FriedFlowerHornFillet

Jul 18, 2017
      Catfish get places koi can't -I'm sorry I just grabbed the first big brown bullhead pic I could find on google there are plenty more real examples of big brown and black bullies that would eat your frogs. I didn't mean to misrepresent anything but I've caught them big ... on frogs. -and I know how fun they are to get rid of when you change your mind and they're established.

10. FriedFlowerHornFillet

Jul 18, 2017
      upload_2017-4-20_12-47-28.png
      upload_2017-4-20_12-47-48.png
      not my images they were listed as ameiurus nebulosus
      catfish have really big mouths they don't have to be this big to grab a frog.
      Some catfish are lazy. Some are very aggressive- pretty sure they're always pigs though