4 VATF 1 GATF Growout Community

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
Over the weekend my new 225 gallon 6x30x2 was delivered. It is now set up and running. Been growing out a GATF in another thread which has had its ups and downs mostly due to me wanting every predatory fish I like and trying to make it work. I came to the reality that if I want the ATF to flourish it need to either be a solitary predator with some bottom level dwellers which is fine since I have a poly addiction as well. I sold all the other tankmates besides my polys and the GATF. I have transferred the fish into the new tank. Today I will be picking up 4 VATF 6 to 8 inches in size for this community. Hopefully with time and effort I can successfully grow them out. I have seen 1 person in particular that did this and it was a very beautiful tank. My plan is to dedicate myself and stay committed to this community for the next few years as opposed to the fish carousel I have had since my comeback. Planning to feed them tilapia, massivore and a varied diet but will try and get them onto tilapia first since my GATF has already been trained to it then pellets next. any input, tips, experience are welcomed hopefully I can learn from others, and help someone in the future with this thread.

Tank is being filtered by a 55 gallons sump with all different types of media. Pump is a Jebao 18,000 running at 60% with tons of flow,1 hydor koralia powerhead to create a circular flow, 4 airstones in sump to creat a very oxygen righ environment for them, temperature will be kept at 78, lighting is a Beamswork full spectrum LED, substrate will be a red garnet sand. Tanks mates are all wild caught bichirs PBB, Lap Variants, Ansorgii, tinkinso endli, congicus.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
I'd be very cautious adding the vatf with the gatf.. I'm sure you've done your reading to know why.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
I'd be very cautious adding the vatf with the gatf.. I'm sure you've done your reading to know why.

Yes i will keep a eye on it if needed the GATF will be separated and will be switched out for 1 or 2 more VATF. I think in the begiining it will be fine but maybe as size if added will be a issue.

what are your thoughts on it? what issues arise?I was thinking with a group this size it may work? any input would be appreciated. the youtube link is what i am going for minus some of the other tank mates but ATF wise.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
The small group of Vatf I tried raising together killed eachother once they got some size on them......

Good luck.

Dragon Hunter

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
lalaland
Nice got to see tank in person one day!!

Reactions: Troy1015

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Yes i will keep a eye on it if needed the GATF will be separated and will be switched out for 1 or 2 more VATF. I think in the begiining it will be fine but maybe as size if added will be a issue.

what are your thoughts on it? what issues arise?I was thinking with a group this size it may work? any input would be appreciated. the youtube link is what i am going for minus some of the other tank mates but ATF wise.

One thing to keep in mind with YouTube videos is to be skeptical, you don't know what happens outside of the few minutes recorded or how long the fish have actually been together to even call it successful. As far as with the gatf and vatf. It seems gatf come into their own much later so to speak. I like to think of their wild behaviors though in the tank can be much different. In the wild vatf school loosely but in very large packs AFAIK. So if you only have a few and it alot of space like a few thousand gallons. You're likely to end up with DB's experience. Or even TBTB with his 4500. He only has two left from a group he grew together and one chases the other all the time. With gatf I think It's very likely to get picked on maybe even killed by the vatf. Seems like gatf don't become territorial until 20"+ which is bad because the vatf are territorial long before that. And say you get away with it and the gatf doesn't grow that large and become aggro. Then it is likely to overpower and kill the atf being a solitary predator in the wild.

But this is just an expectation there is always exceptions. Every fish will have its own personality. So we can only guess. That's why I always say go for it and adjust accordingly.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
One thing to keep in mind with YouTube videos is to be skeptical, you don't know what happens outside of the few minutes recorded or how long the fish have actually been together to even call it successful. As far as with the gatf and vatf. It seems gatf come into their own much later so to speak. I like to think of their wild behaviors though in the tank can be much different. In the wild vatf school loosely but in very large packs AFAIK. So if you only have a few and it alot of space like a few thousand gallons. You're likely to end up with DB's experience. Or even TBTB with his 4500. He only has two left from a group he grew together and one chases the other all the time. With gatf I think It's very likely to get picked on maybe even killed by the vatf. Seems like gatf don't become territorial until 20"+ which is bad because the vatf are territorial long before that. And say you get away with it and the gatf doesn't grow that large and become aggro. Then it is likely to overpower and kill the atf being a solitary predator in the wild.

But this is just an expectation there is always exceptions. Every fish will have its own personality. So we can only guess. That's why I always say go for it and adjust accordingly.
Appreciate your incite and knowledge. As they grow or of I see issues hopefully I can separate them early and get them to a safe home. Hopefully I can make it work if not hopefully I cam get them to safe he' and keep 1 large center piece.

Reactions: moe214

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
I know of only one truly successful cohab story (doesn't mean there is only one of course) - Wes' friend and customer with a 35,000 gal tank having adult GATF and VATF.

VATF don't get along at all even in small groups, like a dozen or might be even two.

That YouTube video might feature a newly stocked tank that may be "peaceful" for a while but sooner or later, the ATF will start figuring out the space and the hierarchy and it will unravel.

Best bet, from talking with Wes, is to have ATF in the forever tank from the get go. With that in mind I have been designing a large, ~10,000-20,000 gal ATF tank with turns / line of sight breaks.

So far I've lost only one ATF to aggression - a 14" VATF (gamma) to the two remaining VATF (alpha and beta). That is in 4500 gal. All other deaths, so far about 3-4 have been due to hitting tank walls. Two - due to tank mate predation.

Troy1015

Banned
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
Seattle
I know of only one truly successful cohab story (doesn't mean there is only one of course) - Wes' friend and customer with a 35,000 gal tank having adult GATF and VATF.

VATF don't get along at all even in small groups, like a dozen or might be even two.

That YouTube video might feature a newly stocked tank that may be "peaceful" for a while but sooner or later, the ATF will start figuring out the space and the hierarchy and it will unravel.

Best bet, from talking with Wes, is to have ATF in the forever tank from the get go. With that in mind I have been designing a large, ~10,000-20,000 gal ATF tank with turns / line of sight breaks.

So far I've lost only one ATF to aggression - a 14" VATF (gamma) to the two remaining VATF (alpha and beta). That is in 4500 gal. All other deaths, so far about 3-4 have been due to hitting tank walls. Two - due to tank mate predation.
Thanks viktor. Always appreciate and enjoy your vids and vast knowledge and advice. I love you ATF kimd of pushed me in this direction. I'l do my best to keep this group happy and healthy bit if needed won' be stubborn to separate and make sure the health is forst before my wants.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store