40 gallon tank . What fish?

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
I think you can pull off a solitary grammode in that tank. IMO, they don't get too big for a 40b (and take forever to grow anyways) and they can have spunky personalities and will eat feeders. You can grow one out and rehome/upgrade the tank later. Just keep up with water changes.

Cuban is also a possibility.

Or you could go with the flowerhorn idea and just get a shortbody flowerhorn that won't top 8" full grown.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
Got a 40 gallon feeder. Need help finding fish for it. Preferably one fish that's pretty big. I've had a cichlid tank before so I'm not a begginer. I'd prefer to not have substrate like sand or gravel so I don't have to vacuum the bottom. I have family that has had plenty of fish before so I also have help from them if needed. I know my tank is too small for an arowana but something aggressive is what I'm looking for. If possible something I can feed with pellets and supplement with feeder fish.Thank you have a nice day :)
if you want a aggressive mini monster wet pet get a hoplias microlepis.
they max out at around 11-12" so a 40g breeder should suffice though
a bit larger would be better.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
A sajica cichlid is good, not too big and very cool looking as well as more outgoing. They top out 6" if I remember correctly

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
If you want to feed feeders, I would second another member's suggestion for a gulper cat. Although it's a bottom dweller, it is very unique.

Keep in mind with feeders though, you want to avoid feeders with thiamese (spelling?) because this will eventually kill your fish. So, no feeder goldfish.

Other than that, I'm not as familiar with free swimming predatory fish but I'm sure there are plenty of options of predatory cichlids that could be kept by themselves. I'm not sure about them but maybe someone can chime in on jack dempsey or electric blue jack dempsey. Severum, terror, small wolf fish breed?

Again, I'm not quite sure about these options but hopefully some others can chime in on them.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
If you want to feed feeders, I would second another member's suggestion for a gulper cat. Although it's a bottom dweller, it is very unique.

Keep in mind with feeders though, you want to avoid feeders with thiamese (spelling?) because this will eventually kill your fish. So, no feeder goldfish.

Other than that, I'm not as familiar with free swimming predatory fish but I'm sure there are plenty of options of predatory cichlids that could be kept by themselves. I'm not sure about them but maybe someone can chime in on jack dempsey or electric blue jack dempsey. Severum, terror, small wolf fish breed?

Again, I'm not quite sure about these options but hopefully some others can chime in on them.
Gulpers are pretty big, I wouldn't recommend them.
EB dempsey will work normal JD's, sevs, terrors and wolves will be too big. Even a microlepsis is a bit big IMO

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
A pair of panchax killiefish. I have an m/f pair in my 55, they look like mini arowanas with more movement. They love to eat anything small enough to fit in their mouths, especially small fish. They also get to ~6" long. so they,d be a respectable size without being too big. They also get along fine with my rainbows and angels, which means you will still be able to keep other fish.

Boss2112

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2017
I think you can pull off a solitary grammode in that tank. IMO, they don't get too big for a 40b (and take forever to grow anyways) and they can have spunky personalities and will eat feeders. You can grow one out and rehome/upgrade the tank later. Just keep up with water changes.

Cuban is also a possibility.

Or you could go with the flowerhorn idea and just get a shortbody flowerhorn that won't top 8" full grown.
I do very much like the flower horn idea. Does any one know where to find some ? Appoximate price? Dealers near D.C. Area? Or online?

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store