~475 Plywood Build

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Finally, after 8 years of dreaming about it I own a home and am able to build myself a plywood tank! The material used in 1" birch plywood. Internal dimensions are 80"x46"x30" (what I plan filling it anyhow). After making the shell, I used glass from an old 150 gallon tank for my windows. Used pond shield for the waterproofing, still need to do the top bracing/lid. I then used the same 1" plywood to trim around the top 5" and another 4" bracing on the bottom. End of the month going to build the stand out of 2"x6"s in 2 sections so I can build it outside. Each half will be 26"x85" to give me an inch around the top for wiggle room to place the tank. Haven't fully decided on the height, was thinking in the ball park of 32" or 36". Plumbing will be 2 2" holes out of the back with a weir to skim and allow me to adjust the water level more easily. Each 2" overflow will travel into it's own 75 gallon sump where it will be returned via 1" line back into the tank on each side at the back. Thanks for checking it out!4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg 15.jpg

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Very nice. What's the intended stock for it once done?
1 Black Arowana - Pet store here has had him for 1 year, about 8" right now, gonna get him into a 75G while I finish the build
8-10 Discus - Going get 10 2" and grow them.
1-2 Delhezi Bichir
1 Ornate
1 Weeksii or Retro
1 BGK (Still undecided on this)
Probably some giant danios possibly for dithers that may get picked off as the Arowana gets bigger.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Couple questions if you dont mind
1) In one of the pics it looks like you didn't do pond armor all the way to the top. Curious if there was a reason.
2) How come you did not use any fiberglass? Did you do extra layers of pond armor as a backup?
3) Planning to paint the exterior? Probably can use something like drylock

Reactions: FishBeast

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Couple questions if you dont mind
1) In one of the pics it looks like you didn't do pond armor all the way to the top. Curious if there was a reason.
2) How come you did not use any fiberglass? Did you do extra layers of pond armor as a backup?
3) Planning to paint the exterior? Probably can use something like drylock

1) Initially I was going to inset the bracing. I decided against that and will be doing a be roughing up the top edge when I do pond armor on the top of the tank.

2) I didn't trust myself to not botch up the fiberglass and accidentally leave air bubbles or something in it. I've been told it's easy, but for my own sake i didn't. The whole coating is thicker than their gauge (given I applied uniformly all around). I did silicone the seams of the tank and will also silicone the lid/top of the tank too.

3) The exterior will be painted a dark gray color, I haven't pick out the paint or anything of that nature as of yet. Definitely will be done though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store