4th attempt success

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
You could always try salt first before going the mb route.

Congrats on getting wigglers! Hopefully next time the parents will do better so you can raise them.

Reactions: tlindsey and Zanzag

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I’m far from an expert but, when my Cichla spawned and they started to eat the wigglers I syphoned them into there own aquarium. The un fertilized eggs will fungus and the wigglers will get stuck to them. I would occasionally put my hand in the fry tank and fan the wigglers and that helped brake up the fry from the fungus. Lots of small water changes were necessary, syphoning out dead fry or infertile eggs. The parents will eat the fry if there are other fish in the aquarium so that’s why I pulled the fry. You will get it keep at it.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
breeding cichlids usually takes a couple of trys before they get it right. i have wigglers from a wc pair of jags right now. its the fourth time they spawned in my tank and the first time i have wigglers.

Reactions: tlindsey

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Well they spawned again and fungus formed again on the eggs if there are any fertile eggs they should hatch tm.
It usually takes 2-4 days for the eggs to hatch depending on the species. And like i stated before it usually takes a few tries for the paired up fishes to success with breeding. Have you seen the male firtalize the eggs?

AnthonyFish20

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2017
Westwood Nj
It usually takes 2-4 days for the eggs to hatch depending on the species. And like i stated before it usually takes a few tries for the paired up fishes to success with breeding. Have you seen the male firtalize the eggs?
Yes they had wigglers last time so male definitely is fertilized eggs just not good at it I know when they will hatch based on last time it took 2 1/2 days to c some wigglers then the next day they were eaten hopefully this time they dont eat them but im pretty sure they will the male guards the eggs and chases away the female which is really odd.

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Yes they had wigglers last time so male definitely is fertilized eggs just not good at it I know when they will hatch based on last time it took 2 1/2 days to c some wigglers then the next day they were eaten hopefully this time they dont eat them but im pretty sure they will the male guards the eggs and chases away the female which is really odd.
Is this pair the only fish in the tank or youve got other fish to?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store