5' Acrylic Aquarium on 6' Stand

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
I was hoping someone could help me can I put a 5' aquarium on a 6' stand without any worries?
Should I place a 6' piece of plywood ontop to support the whole tank?

I have a 110 gallon 5'X18"X24" Acrylic fish tank and found a nice stand that is 6'X18" supposedly made of Oak but even if it was not Oak it looks like a decent stand. It comes with a used glass Aquarium that I just would sell since I dont want to risk a glass tank.

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
It could be done. Reinforce the stand 6" from each side with 2"x4" to support the tank perimeter. Support the additional braces with another piece of wood running to the floor. A layer of plywood on top will finish off the look and secure all pieces together. If you think ahead and use some brackets inside of the stand only, it could be reversible if you upgrade tanks.

Reactions: amazontank

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Can't I just add 1 piece of very thick oak/plywood board 6'X18" across the whole top of the stand and maybe even add another tank that was 12"X18"X24" next to my 5' tank? Then I can even use the canopy to cover both tanks that would be flushed together?

Am I missing something here with the schematics?

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
It will bow and cause problems. If you want two tanks, lay 2" x 4" across the entire stand front to back and lay a sheet of plywood over it. You're then free to do whatever you want (assuming it is reinforced within the stand).

aotechs

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2015
Columbus, OH
Glass tanks are supported on the perimeter and can have open areas. Acrylic tanks must be fully supported. All stands must be square/true otherwise leaks could develop over time.

Your 110 gallon aquarium will tip the scales ~1200lbs when full. I wouldn't gamble with an insufficient stand.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Thanks again buddy for all the advice.
I am thinking of doing a cinder block stand and been reading up on that now!
Be careful with cinderblocks like the guy previous mentioned. Unsupported unacrylic tank will lead to a inevitable leak. Speaking from experience I did the glass method a couple years back on a acrylic tank (only supporting the 4 corners) came home from work with 6 dead piranhas and about 150 gallons of water on the floor with a burnt pump couple seconds away from burning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store