50/50 mixed fry

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
These are 2 generation line bred. The parents were siblings, and both orange. With very mellow temperaments.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
20170620_183420_030_01.jpg
Hopefully this guy, mated with the straw berry in the fuzzy back ground. She is holding again for the 7th? Time,

Reactions: tlindsey

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Line bred? For what? IMO the male that you used was a dud, not even a nice looking hybrid, so what traits are you shooting for, dull, drab, hybrid crosses? If so I suspect that you'll have some winners in that bunch of juvies.

Just for the record, I have no issue with hybrid crosses, and have kept several myself over the years (Flowerhorns, parrot, etc) but if one is going to actually be line breeding, they have to have a long term goal in place, not just randomly breeding whatever fish are in their tank of mixed Africans. Part of that long term goal should be having a way in which to deal with the resulting fry, which with hybrid Africans often results in them entering the market, and not always as hybrids. No Bueno.

Reactions: stempy

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Unlike RD, I do have issues with hybrids. I believe all the random Xing these days is making it impossible to find legitimate species in LFSs. So, I would never trust a store to actually have what it thinks it has, so why would I go there.
And as RD stated, if your going to try to line-breed, the breeders should be exceptional, not run of the mill.
To me that kind of breeding is not stepping up, but instead, more like lowering it.

Reactions: stempy

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I believe all the random Xing these days is making it impossible to find legitimate species in LFSs. So, I would never trust a store to actually have what it thinks it has, so why would I go there.
Yeah, and then there's that. I trust a few LFS that I know import fish from reputable sources (wild and domestic strains) but those LFS are getting to be few and very far between. The closest is a 4 hour round trip for me. The rest are now what Duane related, untrustworthy, as hybrids abound, and many are near impossible to tell when they are juveniles. So months of TLC is often invested to only later find a hybrid emerging. Not cool.

Reactions: skjl47

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
This 50/50 thread, was more to show, recessive traits in mixed fish. Than to create a "new blood parrot".
20170623_210639.jpg
As out of my 60+ yellow labs, Only 3 have been solid yellow, with out any black.

The acei x dragons crosses were kept, because of their very mellow temperment, and schooling vs hiding in the rocks.
20170624_072237.jpg
I would not call this a dull drab.

Reactions: J. H.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I know from your writings on MFK Mark, you are a responsible fish keeper.
But its what happens after the young hybrids leave hybridizers aquarium that's the problem.
You may specifically state, this is a hybrid, but at the store or whoever gets them on down the line, some one calls them special 1 time only import Canary yellow Picachu to help the sale, and they breed with something else on down the line, and the offspring are sold as ?????, or as pure electric yellow ????. Then bred with again, and again.....
No matter how nice they are originally, they are still mutts, and could go a long way to polluting many more species down the line with fish keepers less responsible than you are, in an already mutt filled environment.
If your intent is experimental, and the young end up never leaving your house, then I swallow all my negativity, (at least in your case)
There are some people that think hybrids will save the hobby, for me, they keep me out of stores, and I will pay more, and the shipping to get "real actual species" and escape mutts.
Sorry for jumping on my soapbox, and ranting up your thread.

Reactions: skjl47

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
I seriously cringe every time I read stuff like this..Sad part is fish like this ALWAYS end up being sold on craigslist, back to fish stores for "credit" or given away to make space just creating more confusion (as if we need more) within the african cichlid trade :(

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Solid yellow L. caeruleus hybrids have been in the hobby by the millions for approx. 20 yrs. So many that for a time it was difficult not to end up with hybrid L. caeruleus in ones tank. My foundation breeding stock at that time came from a friend who collected the wild caught adults when working for the late Stuart Grant on Lake Malawi. That was about the only way that I could ensure what I was breeding was pure.

If you keep all these fish in your home, in your tanks, cool. If they leave your home (no matter where they go) then not cool at all. This thread is a good example of line breeding at its worst.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store