50/50 mixed fry

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
I am a welder, by trade. I make so much money in an hour
That bartering fish for supplies. Is a complete waste of my time. I very seldom buy any thing from a LFS.

I would actually enjoy an intelligent debate. About the reality that every single Mbuna in lake Malawi is distantly related, and that they are technically all Hybrids.

For me this is a science experiment, more than having a pretty fish. I am just documenting the offspring. Of a mixed batch. I am almost sure that the dark fry. Will take after their grand father, and become a yellow tail Acei, with a blue body..
The dragons blood gene, is recessive so the pink ones will never be red, as they only have half the dna.
If a pink one breeds with a dragons blood, 25% should be red dominate, with a few having the Acei mild manners.
As the years go by it will be come more refined. As the linage on the Dragons bloods are ???.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Technically, being of hybrid origin in the wild does not equate to man made fish created within a generation or two in a 30 gallon tank. To argue otherwise will not make for an intelligent debate.

Add to that many hybrids ultimately end up in the hands of the unwary, or uneducated, and you have a recipe for genetic disaster. You may not see this as you haven't been keeping cichlids as long as some of us, but this is the #1 issue that folks like Duane and I have. Finding pure fish has become a serious challenge for many species of cichlids. (not just African cichlids) Many hybrids are obvious, blood parrots, Flowerhorn (quality specimens), but with many cichlids it is not so obvious, especially when juveniles.

It's fine to experiment in ones own tanks, no one has an issue with what anyone personally keeps. I certainly don't. If one is simply interested in genetics, and fish, google is your friend. Whatever anyone here is thinking of doing, has already been done.

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
20170627_172141.jpg
Very rigours controls prevent any from an Elmo type escape.
The crawfish hopefully eat the ones who think they own the pvc cave.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store