500w to 1000w Aquarium Heater Questions....

Johnny-5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2019
HI newbie to site. :newbie:! I have a question regarding heaters. My WonBrothers 1000w heater just died on me and currently in the market for a new one and was curious what most of you are using? Ive been debating on the JBJ units but it appears from the reviews they tend to be problematic after a few months. Anyone else encounter this who has used them? Finnex is another one but Im not sure if I want to go digital as I would hate for a power outage and me not being home to find out that my fish is dead due to the temps being defaulted to a lower setting or being to high and overheating them.

Any suggestions from actual users would be great to help me narrow down my selection.
Thanks in advance

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
I think the digital temperature controllers remember what you set them on. Analog controllers have more moving parts, so more to go wrong, IMO.

Johnny-5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2019
I think the digital temperature controllers remember what you set them on. Analog controllers have more moving parts, so more to go wrong, IMO.
Thank you for your response. Ive never had any issues with my analog heater for years and when I did have power outages due to it being analog the setting was always set. I know that the JBJ has a memory chip so it goes back to what you had it at once power is restored but wondering if all digitals are like that?

CarpCharacin

Probation Member
Probation Member
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City
It says on Amazon that the Finnex heaters have memory.
https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-Temperature-Controller-Digital-Heater/dp/B002TMTA7G
Product description said:
The HC-0810M Finnex controller offers a precision digital control with LED digital display which maintains water temperatures at a constant level protecting your livestock from temperature fluctuations. Easily adjustable high/low temperature settings with an audio alert separates this aquarium heater controller from the rest of the competition. Also setting these controllers from Finnex competitors, have ease of mind as this controller features a dual relay inter-work, doubling the protection, disabling heating in case of over heating. This advanced controller carries three prong power receptables that work well with all Finnex Titanium Tubes as well as other brand's heating elements as well. For the utmost advanced aquarium, the digital Finnex heater controller fits right in. Memory equipped to resume preset settings. Please direct to information below for further specifications.

Johnny-5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2019
It says on Amazon that the Finnex heaters have memory.
Those are the 2 that Im debating on which I was aware of but the reviews on them are hit and miss and both have a lot of issues from what Ive read. Just seeing what my other options are out there other than these 2 or if these are the 2 best ones which one is more reliable? I think I also remember reading that the JBJ the temp probe has to be replaced every 8 to 12 months. Some have also stated that they tend to go out earlier than that as well. Couldn't find anything on the Finnex regarding that.

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
im running 3 of the 800w titanium finnex heaters on a system....and two different controllers...i can tell you that the finnex controller's temp probe is not accurate off by about 1 degree and the temp probe is kinda short. Also the finnex temp controller is only rated at 800 watts so if you plan to replace with another 1000w it might not be the best choice ....the 2nd controller i am using has a more accurate thermometer and is rated at 1200 watts ...im running two....cant see a brand name on it but i will take a pic if that helps...the second one is controller with outputs for heating and cooling too if that means anything

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
This is other controller im using 20190112_190650.jpg dont know the brand name but i remember i paid around $60 on amazon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store