500w to 1000w Aquarium Heater Questions....

Johnny-5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2019
I think Finnex is a decent brand, but I wouldn't trust heaters from no-name Chinese brands.
JBJ I believe is a name brand as well if Im not mistaken.

im running 3 of the 800w titanium finnex heaters on a system....and two different controllers...i can tell you that the finnex controller's temp probe is not accurate off by about 1 degree and the temp probe is kinda short. Also the finnex temp controller is only rated at 800 watts so if you plan to replace with another 1000w it might not be the best choice ....the 2nd controller i am using has a more accurate thermometer and is rated at 1200 watts ...im running two....cant see a brand name on it but i will take a pic if that helps...the second one is controller with outputs for heating and cooling too if that means anything
Ive also heard that as well regarding the Finnex accuracy.

This is other controller im using View attachment 1353955 dont know the brand name but i remember i paid around $60 on amazon.
So question regarding that controller you have is that full temp controller with probe and plug-ins for heater elements? Is that just a straight replacement of the IC Controllers that most of these heater systems come with? That actually looks pretty slick. Are the probes detachable and replaceable if they go bad? What size heater elements are you using on that and just 1 or 2? Based on the picture it looks like it has two plugs? Can you confirm?
Sorry for all the questions.

Is it...This is a big guess...Maybe a stretch...Just perhaps....The brand name might be "Bayite?"
Thanks

I think so that name sounds very familiar....i can tell you i like it alot more than the finnex controller
Is there any other part#'s on there?

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
Here you go .....the probes do connect separately so i would assume you can buy a replacement if needed.....also i was mistaken this controller handles 1600 watts.Screenshot_20190113-200631_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Johnny-5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2019
Here you go .....the probes do connect separately so i would assume you can buy a replacement if needed.....also i was mistaken this controller handles 1600 watts.View attachment 1354157
I might just have to get that. I like how it has the capability to hook up a cooler as well to it. During the winters temps can heat up quick so I have a cooler that I throw in on occasions and manually operate it and from the looks of it ... it seems like this can cool it and heat it automatically if it drops or goes over a certain temp!

How long have you had this setup? Im assuming you are just using this for heat right? Whats the wattage on the heater element your currently have on yours? Any pros and cons that you can think of? Thank you for the info.

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
I might just have to get that. I like how it has the capability to hook up a cooler as well to it. During the winters temps can heat up quick so I have a cooler that I throw in on occasions and manually operate it and from the looks of it ... it seems like this can cool it and heat it automatically if it drops or goes over a certain temp!

How long have you had this setup? Im assuming you are just using this for heat right? Whats the wattage on the heater element your currently have on yours? Any pros and cons that you can think of? Thank you for the info.
i am running 3 of the finnex titianium heaters on 3 separate controllers ( 1 finnex and 2 bayites) and have only been using this heating set up for just over a year. i like to use multiple heating sources just in case 1 source breaks i know 1 is still going. Being the bayite is rated at 1600 watts you can easily hook up more than one element to it so long as you dont go over the recommended wattage. So if you were originally just 1 1000watt heater...if it were me i would run 2 separate controllers with two heaters ...like 2 500watt heaters. so if a heater or controller goes bad you know you another running. The controllers have been more energy efficient for me as compared to analog heaters in my findings

Johnny-5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2019
i am running 3 of the finnex titianium heaters on 3 separate controllers ( 1 finnex and 2 bayites) and have only been using this heating set up for just over a year. i like to use multiple heating sources just in case 1 source breaks i know 1 is still going. Being the bayite is rated at 1600 watts you can easily hook up more than one element to it so long as you dont go over the recommended wattage. So if you were originally just 1 1000watt heater...if it were me i would run 2 separate controllers with two heaters ...like 2 500watt heaters. so if a heater or controller goes bad you know you another running. The controllers have been more energy efficient for me as compared to analog heaters in my findings
Sorry for the delay in posts. Ive considered to go multiple heating elements rather than one. I may just go with 2 300W. 1 Finnex and 1 Bayite.

As for the other plug on the Bayite I may hook up a cooler to it during the summers to keep it at bay in temps as summers can get hot out here.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store