50G Aquascape 3.0

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Since the display of my LED lights kinda died i went and got a wifi unit that hooks up to the unit so i can control the settings with my phone...

Therefore decided to add my light settings here for reference as i change settings and see how the growth goes...

IMG_8825.jpg IMG_8826.jpg IMG_8827.jpg IMG_8828.jpg IMG_8829.jpg

Reactions: Hendre

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Just changed the daytime setting to reduce red hue (keep plants lower to the ground) and up the green hue (for better viewing)...

Keeping the blue and white the same level, since the new buce plant growth seems to be coloring up nicely with the extra blue...

IMG_8830.PNG

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
My bucephalandra brownie ghost seems to be showing signs of coloring up nicely now with new growth only what i can describe as a deep purple almost like being very brusied (as seen below)
IMG_8912.JPG

The Bucephalandra Sky Red Mini is also showing signs of coloring up more towards the blue that i've been looking for so hopefully all works out well...
IMG_8913.JPG

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Another week and another update (which the photos should have been added yesterday but forgot lol)...

FTS after trimming and fixing the plants to give the tank better shape... the camera seems to be picking up more of the blue hues from the light, although in person its not this blue when you look at it...
IMG_9005.JPG

The Bucephalandra "Sky Red Mini" finally speeding up a bit in growth it seems, even some of the stems that broke and i replanted before are sprouting new tiny leaves...
IMG_9006.JPG

Bucephalandra "Brownie Ghost" also starting to have more new growth and showing more and more purple leaves...
IMG_9007.JPG

Buce (left) "Sky Red Mini" (right) "brownie ghost" being grown side by side to see color difference with time...
IMG_9009.JPG

An unknown var. of buce which also seems to be showing a reddish colored leaf growing...
IMG_9008.JPG

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I basically DO NOT dose any ferts in this tank, just the odd ADA iron and Multi Sticks places into the soil...

Then running:

- 3 BPS of pressureized Co2
- 4x T5-HO lighting @ 4hrs on / 2hrs off / 4hrs on

And there are actually a bunch of CRS in the tank, but breeding more in a smaller tank to add in later... Trying to explode the colony into the hundreds first...
I read thru your thread and notice that you have switched from t5 to led. I think it’s a good move as led is the future.

Just wonder if you have made a comparison of light intensity. Do you have any estimates of the wattage or par before and after?

Also, do you still follow the 4hrs on / 2hrs off / 4hrs on schedule? Siesta period is common in non-co2 set up to allow natural recovery of co2, but not co2 set up. Do you find siesta period helpful?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I read thru your thread and notice that you have switched from t5 to led. I think it’s a good move as led is the future.

Just wonder if you have made a comparison of light intensity. Do you have any estimates of the wattage or par before and after?

Also, do you still follow the 4hrs on / 2hrs off / 4hrs on schedule? Siesta period is common in non-co2 set up to allow natural recovery of co2, but not co2 set up. Do you find siesta period helpful?
Unfortunately no, i dont have any calculated numbers regarding the lighting between the setups although im sure my LED's can produce much more light and more of the correct light than my old T5-HO setup...

As for the siesta period, actually no i don't use it any more... if you look at my lighting schedule you can see my lights are on for almost 12hours a day with different light intensities and colors depending on the time of day...

But when i was using it with my T5 setup it seemed to help a lot...

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
Unfortunately no, i dont have any calculated numbers regarding the lighting between the setups although im sure my LED's can produce much more light and more of the correct light than my old T5-HO setup...

As for the siesta period, actually no i don't use it any more... if you look at my lighting schedule you can see my lights are on for almost 12hours a day with different light intensities and colors depending on the time of day...

But when i was using it with my T5 setup it seemed to help a lot...
Well, it’s a dramtic change in light source and photo period, from T5 to led, and from 8 hour with siesta to 12 hour straight. It’s hard to gauge the change in outcome.

You don’t know the light intensity without knowing the PAR. But do you know the input wattage?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Well, it’s a dramtic change in light source and photo period, from T5 to led, and from 8 hour with siesta to 12 hour straight. It’s hard to gauge the change in outcome.

You don’t know the light intensity without knowing the PAR. But do you know the input wattage?
T5-HO unit was running 4x 39W tubes, where as the LED unit is a 200W unit...

The main difference though is the T5HO only gave off one intensity of light depending on the bulbs i used, where as the new LED unit i created 5 different stages of light cycle to recreate early dawn / sunrise / high noon / sunset / early evening... so full blast of light only occus for maybe 7 hours or so...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Since i wasnt 100% happy with flow and circulation in my tank i went out and got myself a cheap Jebao PP4 wave maker to help better circulate the Co2 and just move ferts around the tank better after dosing...

Kinda ugly being so big but if it helps cant complain...

IMG_9038.JPG

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
T5-HO unit was running 4x 39W tubes, where as the LED unit is a 200W unit...

The main difference though is the T5HO only gave off one intensity of light depending on the bulbs i used, where as the new LED unit i created 5 different stages of light cycle to recreate early dawn / sunrise / high noon / sunset / early evening... so full blast of light only occus for maybe 7 hours or so...
Look like you are in the high light regime. If you care, here is a link to a PAR calculator. Select “Cree” for led type.

http://www.rotalabutterfly.com/light-calculator.php

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store