55+55+29= 139 gallons and 10.5 feet long

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I'm shocked this turned so well.

I think putting two 125's or 300's would not work do to the Sqaure cube law. How the sqaure cube law works is if you double something's size it's weight goes up eight times it's regular size.
So your saying if you double the 125's they will weigh 8 times as much? Two 125's put together length wise to make a 12 foot 250 gallon tank will weigh 8 times more??????

Maybe if you took the 125's apart and re-glues a 6 foot long x 6 foot wide tank then the tank would hold 500ish gallons, then maybe your rule would apply, but that's not what this thread is talking about.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
If the story of the five 125 gallon tanks linked up into one super tank is true I would like to see a photo of it. I do think that linking two 125 gallon tanks into one big one would work out but I think if someone had the money to get two 300 gallon tanks up like this it might be cheaper to go buy a 600 gallon tank bran new or used for the price of two 300 gallon tanks.

Here is a Link to the Square Cube Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square-cube_law If you double something's size it's eight goes up by eight times.
LOL why wouldn't it be true? I will go take a picture of the tank if you put $100 in my pay pall account :D Just say you will put the money in the account and I will go take the pic. I trust you.

The Square cube law doesn't apply here. 250 gallons weighs exactly twice as much as 125 gallons :D

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Their web site has no pics of the monster tank that I could find. In fact it don't have much of anything.
Next time I'm up there I will take a pic, no big deal. It's a neat design, five or six 125's all lined up and connected by large, maybe 10" tubes about a foot long.

5280critters

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2010
Colorado
While the tube would be cool not quite the same as attaching all the glass together like they did with the 2 55s and the 29.

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
ummmm, you've obviously missed several epicly cricial details about the square-cube law

Item 1: "This principle applies to all solids."

The tank is not solid glass, it's is made up of panels of glass plus water when filled.

Item 2: the tank is not a square there for you cannot use the square cube law. The square cube law states that you can use the length of any side in its comparison. If you applied that to a rectangular tank, your calculations would be drastically inaccurate.

So unless you're trying to stuff fish into a 72" cubed block of solid glass....the square cube law doesn't apply to anything anyone does on this forum.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store