55 Gallon Stocking

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Hmm, sounds plausible but apistogramma fry are very small, I think it would be pretty hard to get a divider that was tight enough to keep them in. Another thing is that in a tank as large as a 55, the fry may have trouble finding their food.
They do make breeder nets which hang in the tank and are made of mesh to let water flow. As long as the fry were too big to fit through, you could probably use one of those to raise them until they are large enough to sell off. I would look for a big one, the ones I have seen are like 8"x4" or something like that. I'd try to get a bigger one if you went that route.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Huh I like he idea of the net... I have a breeder box which hangs on the outside of the tank and has a built in filter... but it is 4" x 4" so that is way to small... How about the pleco babies will they be eaten by anything?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
It's possible they could get eaten, they are pretty small when born too, but I think they would be pretty likely to survive, given enough cover. Lots of real or silk plants to hide in. You could try to catch them and put them in another breeder but it would probably be hard to catch them all.

Reactions: Davidiator
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store