+ 600 Gallon L -Shape Tank/ System.

shogun rua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Reel North
So I’m not a professional welder. I’ve only repaired sheet metal in cars and I’m only trying to learn more about metal stands. Are the open legs touching the floor going to be sturdy enough to support this tank alone? Or will you be adding a brace around the perimeter?
It won't need a brace. Overkill. It will be more than enough with 2" legs going into 2.5" tubing. I was gonna brace the perimeter but it is not necessary. It's extremely strong the way it is already.

shogun rua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Reel North
How did you get the sump in there? Will you be able to pull it out in case of emergency?
The sump was put in place before the stand. No, I won't be able to take it out once the tank is on top of the stand however it's close to the drain and I don't see it being a problem in the next 10 years or so. The sump is new with new silicone and i will also have leak sensors/detectors on the floor of that whole area. I also am aware of the water pattern and where it would run to if a slow leak was going to happen.

Last edited:

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
The sump was put in place before the stand. No, I won't be able to take it out once the tank is on top of the stand however it's close to the drain and I don't see it being a problem in the next 10 years or so. The sump is new with new silicone and i will also have leak sensors/detectors on the floor of that whole area. I also am aware of the water pattern and where it would run to if a slow leak was going to happen.
I would seriously re consider that design. If anything happens to that sump you will need to rip out the whole system down to get it out.

shogun rua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Reel North
I would seriously re consider that design. If anything happens to that sump you will need to rip out the whole system down to get it out.
I hear you. The problem is I have limited space back there to play with and I would prefer not to go with canisters or overhead sumps.

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
I hear you. The problem is I have limited space back there to play with and I would prefer not to go with canisters or overhead sumps.
So move your sump elsewhere? I really don't think you are fully grasping what putting a sump under there means. If ANYTHING happens, ANYTHING at all, the entire system will have to be torn down... Tank emptied of water, inhabitants and decor, the tank picked up and moved before anything can be fixed. That is time, money and risk of further damage (tank slips while moving it, now you are into rebuilding a tank). Not worth the risk when a few tweaks to the final design could prevent issues later on.

Stuff goes wrong. It happens. If something happens to that sump under there, you could be in some trouble. There are designs that can work with the space you have, and won't bite you later on in the event of an equipment failure.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I guess I'll be in the minority but i don't see a problem with the setup as is. I guess I've grown pretty accustomed to setting up/breaking down tanks that breaking down the DT and moving it is not a problem to me, more like a minor inconvenience, almost routine maintenance in my ever evolving fishroom.

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
I know it is a PITA but agree. I had to saw the leg and brace off my 310gal tank to fix sump issues. Have you considered an overhead sump?

• Wow
Reactions: Matteus

shogun rua

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Reel North
Sorry about the delay. The direct result of the Covid situation caused a massive spike on the price of the glass and also delivery times are way behind in my area.

In the meanwhile, I got myself looking at tank stuff on Craigslist and found a deal on a used 8 footer, 500 Gallon tank a couple weeks ago.
After I purchased it, I had to disassemble everything and took it to a glass shop for them to cut it down to custom L dimensions. I also had to order the remaining pieces of glass from them and will be getting everything delivered next week. The L shape project requires so much more glass than the regular square tank :) . It's okay, we will get there, slowly.

3/4" plywood cut to dimensions and overlapped with another 3/4" sheet for a solid 1.5" thick bottom support for the glass.
I also used self tapped screws to connect the top and bottom plywood sheets for an almost bullet proof finish.
thumbnail_IMG_7115.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_7116.jpg
1" styrofoam board on top of the 1.5" plywood bottom, also played around with some decor that I have while waiting for the glass to arrive.
thumbnail_105BE913-A81B-49E5-8A76-A3FA589632BE.jpg

thumbnail_12283455-AF4F-4430-9BA3-AF48915ED9A7.jpg
thumbnail_12273499-B356-4E35-92F0-9A8635F35E2C.jpg
Scrap 1/2" glass I will be using for bracing the bottom and top of the tank. I got a great deal on all those pieces and am keeping them in the garage for now.
thumbnail_F13163AC-A01B-4187-B79A-1EDC4AC1EACE.jpg
thumbnail_221771F4-9914-4EA1-AF4F-A8EF475AF9D3.jpg
Hexagon Sump tower that came with the 500 Gallon tank and I plan on using it with the L-shape system.
thumbnail_5AB28936-FA37-44EA-A19F-5A903446B3C9.jpg
thumbnail_9F36FD74-7A16-42B6-8B86-1F69A5AA8DB0.jpg

Last edited:

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Sorry about the delay. The direct result of the Covid situation caused a massive spike on the price of the glass and also delivery times are way behind in my area.

In the meanwhile, I got myself looking at tank stuff on Craigslist and found a deal on a used 8 footer, 500 Gallon tank a couple weeks ago.
After I purchased it, I had to disassemble everything and took it to a glass shop for them to cut it down to custom L dimensions. I also had to order the remaining pieces of glass from them and will be getting everything delivered next week. The L shape project requires so much more glass than the regular square tank :) . It's okay, we will get there, slowly.

3/4" plywood cut to dimensions and overlapped with another 3/4" sheet for a solid 1.5" thick bottom support for the glass.
I also used self tapped screws to connect the top and bottom plywood sheets for an almost bullet proof finish.
View attachment 1463354
View attachment 1463355
1" styrofoam board on top of the 1.5" plywood bottom, also played around with some decor that I have while waiting for the glass to arrive.
View attachment 1463356

View attachment 1463357
View attachment 1463358
Scrap 1/2" glass I will be using for bracing the bottom and top of the tank. I got a great deal on all those pieces and am keeping them in the garage for now.
View attachment 1463359
View attachment 1463360
Hexagon Sump tower that came with the 500 Gallon tank and I plan on using it with the L-shape system.
View attachment 1463361
View attachment 1463362
Very cool build. I have toyed with the idea of an L or even a U tank for a while now. I look forward to seeing how it all turns out. Best of luck.

will the hex trickle tower drain into the regular sump under the stand? I’m just wondering how that will work logistically because I may be working through a similar deal on my set up some day here in the future.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store