600 gallon tank build

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Looks like youve got a good grip on it. I've done sumps with a single pump before and always worked fine. Consider running two pumps or even two sumps for redundancy and efficiency if you find yourself having trouble with flow or pump reliability.

Im gonna be running two jebao 10000 on my new 400g build which are about equivalent to your 20000. Everybodys telling me my rig is underpowered lol.
Yea I'm not using my return pumps for flow in the tank I have one of the jebao CP 150. And if I need or want more I will add I know there we've maker. Even with head loss you will still be 5 x turnover. As long as you have the returns Breaking the surface tension of the water that is perfect unless it is saltwater.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Yea I'm not using my return pumps for flow in the tank I have one of the jebao CP 150. And if I need or want more I will add I know there we've maker. Even with head loss you will still be 5 x turnover. As long as you have the returns Breaking the surface tension of the water that is perfect unless it is saltwater.
Yeah i agree with you 5x through sump is plenty. I was just saying, in your case, you could easily add another sump and/or pump later on as a worthwhile upgrade to the system if you saw the need.

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Yeah i agree with you 5x through sump is plenty. I was just saying, in your case, you could easily add another sump and/or pump later on as a worthwhile upgrade to the system if you saw the need.
Yea I definitely need to upgrade my sump. I wish the Manufactured ones were not so outrageously expensive. I am looking on Craigslist In part what some people are asking is more than you can buy it for new it's crazy how many people get ripped off

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Ok well here are some new pics of the dry rock This is done for now, if I change anything it would just be minor changes. I still need to bond the last layer and glue one pipe run, so maybe tomorrow night I can start to add water wooohoooo!!!!

20200329_010102.jpg

20200329_010053.jpg

yzf450motoxrider

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2009
CT
Very unlikely to see 2000gph with that pump 3/4 inch returns are very restrictive. Low head pumps like the jebao just don’t have the power. If you want the most out of the pump then use two 1.5 inch returns with nozzles on the outlets. Just be aware nozzles will also reduce the flow but increase the velocity.

Reactions: TheWolfman

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Everyone can have there own options and I dont have any first hand data but the chart I saw was almost 1500 GPH for 3/4 pvc my pump at 6 feet of head is at 2900 GPH I think 2000 is a conservatives estimate. As far as jebao as a low head pumps this pump is rated at over 24 feet. If that is low what pump do you think is needed. The 1 1/2 pipe you are right I would help but I think that would be over kill. The tank will be up in a day or 2 so we can find out.

yzf450motoxrider

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2009
CT
Everyone can have there own options and I dont have any first hand data but the chart I saw was almost 1500 GPH for 3/4 pvc my pump at 6 feet of head is at 2900 GPH I think 2000 is a conservatives estimate. As far as jebao as a low head pumps this pump is rated at over 24 feet. If that is low what pump do you think is needed. The 1 1/2 pipe you are right I would help but I think that would be over kill. The tank will be up in a day or 2 so we can find out.
Look at the pump curve. As head pressure increases the flow decreases rapidly. Your actual head loss is much greater than 6 ft you have to include the velocity losses from the 3/4 inch pipe and minor losses from bends. Total loss is probably around 10-11ft. I would suggest a external pump. Large external pumps like reeflow or cascade have roughly same head his but much better curves. If you look at the curve for the jebao it is concave which is terrible.

Iv had jebao pumps and when it had dual 1 inch returns it produced 1350 gph max power dct15000

Reactions: TheWolfman

Tj203

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2019
Look at the pump curve. As head pressure increases the flow decreases rapidly. Your actual head loss is much greater than 6 ft you have to include the velocity losses from the 3/4 inch pipe and minor losses from bends. Total loss is probably around 10-11ft. I would suggest a external pump. Large external pumps like reeflow or cascade have roughly same head his but much better curves. If you look at the curve for the jebao it is concave which is terrible.

Iv had jebao pumps and when it had dual 1 inch returns it produced 1350 gph max power dct15000
Guess we will have to wait and see. But to spend that much on those pumps for a few more 100 GPH just does not seem worth it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store