600g DIY plywood build

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
I have been working on this build for a couple of months, and am now waiting for my silicone to cure on the tank, so i figured now would be a good time to post all my pictures as I will hopefully be busy filling this tank with water next week. Like I have said, I am still in the progress of building the tank so please be patient as it may be awhile till it is fish ready.
So, why a plywood tank you might ask? Well for starters plywood is cheap, while I will will post final prices later, my budget for the tank itself was $1000, while a similar glass tank would be well over $3000, if not considerably more. I also have limited space to work with as the tank would have to fit through my basement door, meaning that I couldn't possibly bring a large tank into my basement. But with plywood, I can assemble it all in my basement to whatever size I want. I have always wanted stingrays, and after some research, my final tank size will be 7ft by 4ft by 3ft tall, or just over 625 gallons. This will allow my rays ample floorspace to grow out and live in comfortably. I would like to have built a bigger tank, but I ran out of wall space as this tank will be set back in a wall. Here are some pictures of my build in progress, I will post more when I have time. Feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer them.
For this first part of the build I used 4 3/4inch birch plywood sheets deck screws of various sizes and woodglue in between sheets. No other materials were used at this timeIMG_6154.JPG IMG_6155.JPGIMG_6163.JPG IMG_6162.JPG IMG_6165.JPG

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
After I built the body of the tank, I decided to drill and put in an overflow box, so using extra wood left over from the tank body, I made a BeanAnimal silent and failsafe overflow. For those of you that are not familiar, one tube is at siphon, while another durso tube catches extra water so that you only have to tune the siphon once, and then let the durso catch extra flow. The last tube is for safety in the event that the siphon or durso clog. All plumbing is for 1.5 inch pvc and the two other holes are where the water comes back into the tank.IMG_6167.JPG

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
I decided to use Pond Armor to waterproof my tank. While there are a variety of options, I needed a simple solution that did not have toxic fumes as I did this all in my basement. While pond armor was not the cheapest, or easiest option, it has been proven to work before. I used 3 small 1.5 quart kits to entirely cover my tank. 1 white and 2 blue. I also put fiberglass cloth in the joints, but I think that I regret that choice not only because I feel like I gained no strength, but it was also a major pain and very time consuming. Also the first coat of pond armor was very difficult to apply, and it shows by my terrible first coat in white.IMG_6166.JPG IMG_6168.JPG IMG_6169.JPG IMG_6170.JPG IMG_6173.JPG IMG_6177.JPG IMG_6174.JPG IMG_6175.JPG IMG_6176.JPG

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Looks like a great build so far and something a bit different from other ones I have looked at recently.
Awesome!!!!!
Thanks guys, decided on making my own background for the tank, will post pictures when I have something worth posting as well as pictures of the glass. If all goes well this tank should be water ready in less than a week.

Reactions: MASTERTANKER

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Heres the glass in place and drying. I had to flip the tank over so that the weight of the glass would help create a good seal. Big shoutout to glasscages.com for getting me a great piece of glass at a good price. This is 1/2inch by 78in by 30in starfire glass. For those of you that don't know, starphire glass contains lower iron than normal glass, making it extra clear without a green tint. I figured that I would do it right and get the best possible view of my fish. Shipped to within 10 miles of my house, the total cost of the glass was $290. About 4 tubes of silicon later, this glass is now permanently in place.IMG_6208.JPG IMG_6209.JPG IMG_6210.JPG IMG_6211.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store