65 Gallon American Stocking ideas

ChristianBouchart

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2020
Hey all. I have a 65 gallon (36x18x24) that I would like to stock with some american cichlids. It would be awesome if I could keep a little variety in the aquarium.
I'm interested in the following species:

Jack Dempsey's (And Electric Blue Jack Dempsey's)
Green Terror
Texas Cichlid
Electric Blue Acara
Severum's
Firemouth Cichlid

I would like to know how you would stock this aquarium.
I'm also open to suggestions.

Thanks

Justepic

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
London
Welcome to MFK!

First of all, the jack Dempsey, green terror, texas cichlid and severum would get too big for a 65.

You could stock either a group of blue scars or fieremouths though. Not both. A group of acaras/ firemouths with some dithers/catfish would be a nice aquarium!

HybridFinatic

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2018
Virginia
In a 3 foot tank the only fish out of those you listed you should be able to keep is the firemouth, EBA, and maybe jack Dempsey but I wouldn’t mix them all together. You could do a pair of firemouths or EBA with some schooling tetras and some bottom feeders. The dimensions of your tank is basically a taller 40 breeder which may be pushing it for a single jack dempsey.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
It’s possible a single female Jack Dempsey could work, but I heard of a pair of Jack Dempseys that were both 12inches+.

Justepic

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2018
London
Yeah, I would not go with the jack.
You could do what hybrid fanatic said, around 5 firemouths, a small school of tetras and some catfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store