6'x6'x2' DIY tank

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
Hi everyone,

I was curious if anyone here has done similar to what UaruJoey did with his 6'x6'x2' tank? He built the bottom panel out of plywood coated in PondShield and then used glass for the sides and bracing. I'd like to copy this design as I find it's the best combination of affordability, ease of build, while still being aesthetically pleasing.

Build series can be found here for those who don't know what I'm referencing above:

Plywood tanks are fine and dandy but the larger the number of wood seams there are, the higher the probability of springing a leak there is. With his design there's really only one true "seam" in the wood, and that's where you must cut the plywood and bond it to itself to take some 4'x8' plywood sheets and turn it into a 6'x6' piece. Where the glass joined the bottom panel it sounds like silicone sticks EXTREMELY well to PondShield so I'm not too concerned about that.

Anyways... I guess I'm looking for some feedback on things that could be improved for this build. Let me know if you have any ideas. I'd be glad to considering everything. I think one of the things I would change is the bracing width from 3" to 6" just for some peace of mind.

monkeybike

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2015
I really liked the idea of that tank. He did mention he had a real humidity problem with it until he put those greenhouse covers on it. I thought something like that would make a sweet riparium.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
I really liked the idea of that tank. He did mention he had a real humidity problem with it until he put those greenhouse covers on it. I thought something like that would make a sweet riparium.
Luckily I live in a very dry climate so I don't think this will be an issue. I actually use a humidifier 24/7 in my house for the hardwood flooring. I also always have the furnace fan running to circulate the basement air through the house (warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer).

I may add a bunch of plants with only the roots submerged to make a "jungle" of roots in the back foot or so of the tank. We'll see.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
Does anyone have any experience with this style of build? Suggestions on things Joey may not have covered or that you would have changed?

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
That is an older video and I filmed it horribly, but if you can get through it all... its a good build.

Heres some advice:

1: DO NOT build it alone. Everything is too heavy and awkward.
2: When you think you have enough silicone, but more. Take back what you dont use, but you do NOT want to run out.
3: For the seams, use the silicone injection method. Its easy to do, and is just like the pin method for acrylic tanks. The small cushion of silicone is needed for big tanks like that.
4: Plan out the lid well.. Its a big tank. A TON of surface area. Water evaporates fast and the water cools fast. If you can, use the type of lids i use. I still use them to this day on every tank.
5: You're in for a long day. Eat before you start. Be well rested. You dont want to rush this because your hungry or tired. Sounds silly, i know. But trust me on this.
6: Ventilate the room. Your going to use a ton of silicone.
7: Start with the front panel. That is a MUST. Then each side. THEN the back panel. Attach the bottom back brace on after the panels are all in place, or it will be a night mare getting the back panel on.

8: If you are in Maryland on March 4-6th, come to the Big Fish Deal. Im putting on 2 talks. 1 is about this sort of thing. (plus you can obviously ask me specifics if you need to)

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
That is an older video and I filmed it horribly, but if you can get through it all... its a good build.

Heres some advice:

2: When you think you have enough silicone, but more. Take back what you dont use, but you do NOT want to run out.
3: For the seams, use the silicone injection method. Its easy to do, and is just like the pin method for acrylic tanks. The small cushion of silicone is needed for big tanks like that.
4: Plan out the lid well.. Its a big tank. A TON of surface area. Water evaporates fast and the water cools fast. If you can, use the type of lids i use. I still use them to this day on every tank.
5: You're in for a long day. Eat before you start. Be well rested. You dont want to rush this because your hungry or tired. Sounds silly, i know. But trust me on this.
7: Start with the front panel. That is a MUST. Then each side. THEN the back panel. Attach the bottom back brace on after the panels are all in place, or it will be a night mare getting the back panel on.

8: If you are in Maryland on March 4-6th, come to the Big Fish Deal. Im putting on 2 talks. 1 is about this sort of thing. (plus you can obviously ask me specifics if you need to)
No way the King himself!

Reactions: Red_Man

millerkid519

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2015
stratford ontario canada

Heres some advice:

You heard it from the man himself. I'm sorry to hear about your rays that's a tough loss.
May favorite days of the week are Thursday and Sunday! Love watching your videos

Reactions: Ihsnshaik

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada

Heres some advice:

Joey! Thank you! I will start gathering some supplies, or at least pricing it out. It might take a while to start on this project since I don't have access to a truck for transporting the supplies.

What would you suggest using as a spacer for the direct silicone injection?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store