720 Gallon Plywood Build

inert1a

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2017
so Ive been lurking these forms for quite some time and recently decided to start building my first big tank project. Big shout out to the community, as its a gold mind of excellent information! Tank will measure 8 x 4 feet with a water depth of around 36 inches. Picture time!

Starting by building two 2x8 frames, then bolted the two frames together:

glued and screwed two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood for the base of the tank:

stacked 2x4s to create a solid foundation for framing:

framing:

Lag bolts for extra framing support:

completed framing. Wrapped the base of the 2x8 frame with 2x10, over lapping the corners:

Wrapped the top portion with 2x6 in a similar fashion to the bottom and added some 2x4 to support the planned canopy.

lined the inside with 3/4 inch ply

current view from the front:

i plan to have the tank completed by the end of October hopefully. i plan on using 1 inch cell cast acrylic for the front viewing panel. im still on the fence about what to seal the tank with.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
nice! a dedicated fish room. my garage, a townhome 1 car, just became my fish room haha.

what are you putting in it? id be tempted to get some aros if i had an 8 footer. definitely some shovelnose cats too.

inert1a

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2017
nice! a dedicated fish room. my garage, a townhome 1 car, just became my fish room haha.

what are you putting in it? id be tempted to get some aros if i had an 8 footer. definitely some shovelnose cats too.
Not to sound blasphemous or anything but i don't plan on keeping fish lol. the Build is for my Turtle. :cool:

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Looks good. But I'd get a star fire glass panel. Would be way cheaper, easy to install with silicone and if it's for a turtle not get scratched as easily!
+1 to this. i have an acrylic tank that the previous owners kept turtles in. 10 hours of buffing later and ive probably removed half of the scratches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store