720 Gallon Plywood Build

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I like this project. I don't care what you put in it (fish, turtle, lizard, snake) but it's coming along nicely.

Do you have the turtle or is it soon to arrive?

inert1a

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2017
I like this project. I don't care what you put in it (fish, turtle, lizard, snake) but it's coming along nicely.

Do you have the turtle or is it soon to arrive?
Ive had my turtle for about 9 years. he is currently 12 and was a rescue i got from a lady whose kids no longer wanted him. hes currently housed in a 120 gallon so this will be a huge upgrade lol.

As far as glass vs acrylic, i would much prefer glass. Just having a hard time finding a place that has 1" thick glass. If i were to lower the water level to say around 30", would 3/4 be acceptable or would that be pushing my luck?

Last edited:

inert1a

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2017
What kind of turtle is it? I got my Niece a red ear slider about 5 years ago and he started in a 29g, then went to a 60g, he's probably gonna need another upgrade soon again as he's really big for a RES.
hes a RES. hes about 8" total carapace length. Its the females that get huge. Female RES in 12" and up range are not that uncommon.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Ive had my turtle for about 9 years. he is currently 12 and was a rescue i got from a lady whose kids no longer wanted him. hes currently housed in a 120 gallon so this will be a huge upgrade lol.

As far as glass vs acrylic, i would much prefer glass. Just having a hard time finding a place that has 1" thick glass. If i were to lower the water level to say around 30", would 3/4 be acceptable or would that be pushing my luck?
Not sure you need 1in thick glass. When I have played with calculators I believe 3/4in glass works for up to 3ft in depth. If you go higher you will have a problem.

http://www.theaquatools.com/building-your-aquarium

Reactions: Drstrangelove

Steve_C

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2017
Royal Oak, Michigan
www.midwestcustomflyrods.com
hes a RES. hes about 8" total carapace length. Its the females that get huge. Female RES in 12" and up range are not that uncommon.
We always thought her's was a male due to the long nails, from what I have heard the long nails usually indicate a male? But if the males max at 8" carapace then her's must be a female. I'd say her's is easily 11-12" carapace length.

inert1a

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2017
We always thought her's was a male due to the long nails, from what I have heard the long nails usually indicate a male? But if the males max at 8" carapace then her's must be a female. I'd say her's is easily 11-12" carapace length.
usually the claws are good indication of sex, but you can also tell by the tail. Females will have short, slimmer tails while males will have longer thicker tails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store