75 gallon blackwater tank feels like it's missing something

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
To me, all it's missing is some structure in upper reaches of tank. Driftwood that creates some shady areas and fills out the top of the tank. I think it would add depth to the tank.
Looks really great as it is however. Nice job. Just think some branching coming down from the top would be nice
The roots from the pothos are in the top right. They will grow as the tank matures. And the frogbit will occupy that spot as well

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
The angel had to be rehome already started going at the neons.... also picked up the leaf liter. I'll be adding more substrate and adding dwarf sag on the right side of the tank. Also will be upgrading lighting to a beamswork DA 65000k

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
Nice tank

I have used crypts in shallow sand substrate tanks, they seem to send out horizontal roots that lock onto stones and anything else to keep them in place under very little sand, I also like various colors they produce. And for me anyway, grew in tanks where other plants wouldn't.

Cories would still up root that's the issue.... .5 inch sand bed and cories not gonna happen
As per Duanes's post, crypts will grow in very little sand. I have a crypt tank with sand less than an inch in depth. From personal experience corys will not uproot established plants at all. The root system of my crypts can spread the entire tank lenth and the baby crypts sprout from those same roots. If you try taking one out, one can uproot half the tank by accident if not careful.

Having said that, it is a personal choice. I am of the same opinion as per the below quoted post.

To me, all it's missing is some structure in upper reaches of tank. Driftwood that creates some shady areas and fills out the top of the tank. I think it would add depth to the tank.
Looks really great as it is however. Nice job. Just think some branching coming down from the top would be nice

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I also doubt that the Corys could uproot Crypts, the fish I had with Crypts were the Central American earth eaters, Cribroheros rostratus of about 6"-8", which mouth in 1 bite what 3 Corys would a half hour to disturb.

Reactions: Coryloach

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
I moved the java fern over to make more room for the dwarf sag. As far as the crypts go I may try them but I'd like the sag to take over as a carpet on the right side and keep the front open with sand for the cories. I'd like to add a type of branch driftwood to the top right of the tank but I'd have to find a good piece that fit well

1552246710006648804311423220512.jpg

SandNukka15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2010
Towanda PA
New beamswork DA 6500k was added and 40 more lbs of sand to help anchor in the plants that are coming in. So far I've decided to add jungle val in the back right, dwarf sag in the right of the tank in front of the vals and anubias nana petite to add around the driftwood. I'm thinking S repens in the front left but dont know how high it would grow with my lighting. Would like it to stay low but dont know if I'll have enough lighting for it

Tanks a little cloudy right now

15525056010213606752190125392203.jpg

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
What I see missing is the right light. It appears you use DIY spot lights and flexible strip lights that are low in K value and lacking red and blue.. Fish and plants look washed out under 6000K, but vivid in high K and rich in red and blue spectrum. Also, you have to find a way to hide the cluster of overhead light fixtures.

Here is a pic of my 125 g set up similar to yours, and I do 75% WC weekly. I do not use substrate plants, but all Java ferns (broad leaf and narrow leaf Trident) attached to rock. I don’t think you necessarily need colored stem plants as all green is fine, allowing fish to bring out the color. All you need is more lush growth that takes time to establish. Don’t add frogbit as they will shade the plants below from getting lush.

Scattering the pebbles in the sea of sand is unnatural. It will look better if you can place them contiguous with the drift wood as an island

The big difference between yours and mine is lighting. In addition to strip LEDs sit on the glass top, I tied submersible LEDs inside the tank rims to optimize the footprint for light coverage.

907E7C3A-D17E-48CD-8654-6464A25C6DDA.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store